Upcoming Library Events
From: Mary Jo King
Elko County Library
As part of the “Be CreAtive @ YOuR LiBraRY” Summer Reading Program, the Elko County Library is pleased to host a new contest called “Junk Yard Games”. Get together with family & friends and let your imaginations soar as you create a new game. Make up your own rules, and construct the equipment that will be used in the game from recycled materials.
Guidelines are as follows:
1. The majority of the equipment used in the game must be made of recycled material.
2. Make up your own rules. Although the game you create may be based on a well known game, most of the rules must be made up by you & your group.
3. Games may be board games, yard games, etc. However we will not accept any entries for games that are dangerous.
4. There is no limit to the number of people who can help create your game, but all those listed as “Creative Geniuses”, should have helped in some way.
5. At least 1 sample of each piece of equipment needed to play the game must be submitted along with the rules of the game. Please print or type game rules.
6. Game entries need to be submitted to the library by July 20th. Winners will be announced at the SRP closing picnic July 31st.
7. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prizes (gift certificates to The Book Store) will be awarded.
Visit the library at 720 Court Street and ask your friendly librarian for an entry form and copy of the guidelines. Get started today!
The Elko County Library has announced the new fall schedule for After School programs in the Children’s Department.
The After School Craft program is moving to 3:30pm Tuesday afternoons starting Tuesday, September 15th. This new fall session is for children ages 5 and older.
9/15 Spirit Dolls 10/06 Pennants Photo Frames
9/22 Fall Wreath 10/13 Musical Maracas
9/29 Harmonious Hummers 10/20 Spooky Spiders
Art Club is a new addition to the library’s weekly After School programs starting 3:30pm Wednesday, September 16th. Art Club is for children 8 to 14. Each week a different artist will be featured with an art project copying his/her style.
9/16 Magical Creatures - Paul Klee created magical fish pictures using watercolor and oil paints. Children will create a similar effect with watercolor paints and wax crayons.
9/23 Jungle Scene - Henri Rousseau used glowing colors and strong shadows to bring his jungle painting to life. Now you can create your own jungle with dramatic shading and bright colors.
9/30 Hanging Mobile – Alexander Calder created huge mobiles out of painted steel & wire. You will make a miniature version using cardboard and pipe cleaners.
10/07 Pastel Dancers – Edgar Degas used soft pastels to capture the delicate fabric of his dancer’s costumes. You will use chalks to create a similar effect.
10/14 Foil Figures – Alberto Giacometti sculpted hundreds of stick people in different poses. You will sculpt your own stick people using pipe cleaners and foil.
10/21 Spin Painted Plate – Damien Hirst creates his spin pictures on a huge wheel. You will try a similar technique by spinning a paper plate. It is very messy – watch for flying paint and dress accordingly.
The cost for After School Crafts and Art Club is $1.00 per week. Because of limited space, each weekly program will be limited to 15 participants. The fall sessions will continue for 6 weeks and participants are welcome to participate 1, 2, or even all 6 weeks. Samples of the crafts and art projects will be on display at the library beginning September 1st.
Beginning 4:00pm, Thursday, September 17th, is Sign Language Class. The class is for children 7 years of age and older This is a free program, but pre-registration is requested because of limited space. The class is 1 hour long.
To register or for more information call the library at 738-3066 or stop in at 720 Court St.