California Trail Days~ Special Events for Home Schoolers

  • Carolyn Steninger
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17 1:29 PM
      This was sent to me by Gary Koy:

      Greetings Home Schoolers and other interested parties
      ,

      May 29 and 30 2009, the California Trail Center will be hosting the 5th annual California Trail Days event celebrating one of the most formative events in American History.  While both days should be fun and educational, we would like to extend a special invitation to Home Schoolers to attend on Friday. We have a program set up that we think you will both enjoy and find enlightening. This is a free event.

      In addition to the ongoing activities which include Mountain Men, Pioneer Clothing to try on, Shoshone Crafts and Skills, Archeology Exhibits,  Activities by the Northeastern Nevada Museum, and a first glimpse at the California Trail Center's New Exhibits we have put together a schedule of more structured events with young students in mind:

      11:30  There will be a black powder firearms demonstration

      12:30  The Old Melodeon Minstrels will be playing & calling a traditional dance

      1:15   You will be able to meet Live Oxen up close and personal

      After the Oxen talk, for your listening enjoyment Alex Johnson, a young fiddler, will play a few tunes and then at 2:00 PM you can hear a talk about Shoshone Life Ways. Presentations and activities continue until 5:00PM.

      For a complete schedule of all the activities and presentations please visit our website at elkotraildays.com or call Park Ranger Gary Koy at 775-934-2467.

      California Trail Days on May 29 & 30, 2009 is a free event open to the public from 10:00AM till 5:00 PM.  The California Trail Center, operated by the Bureau of Land Management, is located 8 miles West of Elko just North of I-80 at Hunter Exit 292. The Trail Center is expected to open on a regular basis the summer of 2010.

      Thanks,

      Gary

      Gary Koy
      Park Ranger
      Bureau of Land Management - Elko District
      California National Historic Trail Interpretive Center
      Elko, Nevada 89801

      775-753-0281