[ECHO-NV] more of Questions...

  • monique heieie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2009
      I haven't written much this past year but I have questions regarding homeschooling for high school. What types of programs do you use? Any info would be very helpful. My oldest is about done with 7th grade and some of 8th. Just looking for more for her to do.
      Monique

      From: Kathy <katbmom@aol. com>
      Subject: [ECHO-NV] Introduction & Lots of Questions...
      To: ECHO-NV@yahoogroups .com
      Date: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 7:21 PM

      Hello!
      My name is Kathy and this is my ninth year as a (slightly insane) homeschool mom, though now I am only homeschooling my 15 year old daughter as my two sons have already graduated from high school.   We currently live and have lived in Lexington, Ky. since the children were very small; however, my husband has a job interview with one of the gold mining companies in Elko and there is a really good chance we will be moving there soon:)
      We have known for quite some time that we would be moving out west, but we were expecting him to go with a company in Arizona.  Hence, I have researched the snot out of Tucson... I know everything there is to possibly know about homeschooling down there (not to mention every possible way to avoid/kill/flee from scorpions:O) and now guess what?!?  It looks like we won't be going to Tucson after all, but to Elko instead#-o.  (I personally blame this on my daughter and all her whining that Tucson has no snow.  How much you wanna bet she's been praying?  Naughty, naughty girl.)  So now I am scrambling to learn about homeschooling in Elko (and making sure there's no scary creepy crawlies there to have nightmares about).
      Anyway, I'll get to the point.  I was wondering what the homeschool community looks like up there in terms of high school students?  Do you have many of them?  If so, does there happen to be a high school co-op nearby?  We are very blessed here in that we have a couple of good sized high school groups where kids can take co-op classes if they choose, including core classes.  My daughter took pre-algebra last year at a middle school co-op and it worked out great.  I would have loved to put her in an Algebra class this year, but as before mentioned, we thought we were moving to Tucson/:)
      I have noticed that you all seem to work more closely with the public schools than we do here.  How does that work out?  Regarding the public charter school, can you pick and choose your classes with them or do you have to take their entire curriculum?  How much control do they have over your child's education (meaning, how much do they meddle)?  Forgive me, but I guess I have a bit of Kentucky's redneck paranoia where the public schools are concerned:-?.
      Is the local college open at all to homeschoolers in terms of science labs?
      Sorry for all the questions.  As I said, I'm scrambling a bit to learn about the area since we would be moving there as early as January (eek!) if he ends up accepting the position.  All joking aside, I MUCH prefer coming to Elko to moving to Tucson.  The people seem a bit more conservative and I love snow, too:D!
      Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated since I have issues I really need to pray about concerning the need to know what is going to happen and when and where and so on so that I can plan my life to the uttermost (what is it the Bible says about the best laid plans...?)
      Oh!  And most importantly. .. y'all don't have any scorpions up there, do ya:(?
      Blessings,
      KathyO:)