more on the Cowboy Poetry Gathering

  • nevadafiddler
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2006
      Marsha sent this letter from Jan Peterson to me. It has a little more
      information than the Free Press article.

      Carolyn

      Dear Educators:

      The 2006 National Cowboy Poetry Gathering's Education programs are
      ready for reservations!

      This year we have an exciting selection of artists and events for you
      and your students to enjoy. Space is limited so it is important that
      you schedule your students as early as possible.

      In addition to our usual educational opportunities that highlight
      western traditions and poetry, this year we are featuring Brazilian
      culture from South America during our Youth Festival, School
      Assemblies, and Rural and Home School Programs.

      Programs being offered this year are:

      Cowboy Poetry Student Art Show
      Art show featuring artwork from Elko County Students
      The show opens Tuesday, January 17, 2005 and closes April 3, 2005.
      Students' work will explore themes associated with Cowboys of the
      Americas. A reception will be held for the artists, their parents and
      the public in March before the show closes. Your art teacher will be
      receiving a letter with more detailed information. All grades are
      welcome to enter artwork.

      Western Folklife Center Youth Festival
      The Youth Festival will once again be held at the Western Folklife
      Center on Tuesday, January 24, Wednesday, January 25, and Thursday,
      January 26. This year's program will provide students with a range of
      activities that educate them about cultures in both North and South
      America. The event is appropriate for grades three through five. There
      is a $2 fee per student.

      Cow Kids Stampede
      Cow Kids Stampede will be held at the Western Folklife Center on
      Wednesday, February 1 with three performances. Recording artists
      Riders in the Sky will present a fast paced show of traditional
      western music and comedy. This is a performance you won't want to
      miss! The show is appropriate for students in kindergarten through
      eighth grade. There is a $2 fee per student.

      Rural and Home School Programs
      The Rural and Home School Program will be held on Wednesday, February
      1 at the Elko Junior High Auxiliary Gym. Rural and home-schooled
      students are invited to participate in a variety of activities that
      include performances by Sourdough Slim, the Renato Borghetti Quartet
      from Brazil, and the fun and educational Arivada Ramblers. After the
      concert, students will have the opportunity to meet the musicians face
      to face, ask
      questions, and learn about Brazilian music from our international
      artists. The show is appropriate for grades 1 through 8. There is a $2
      fee per student.

      On-Site Assemblies
      This year we are offering two separate assembly options to entertain
      and educate your students about traditional music at the National
      Cowboy Poetry Gathering. Reserve your assembly as soon as possible as
      availability is limited. Please note that not all performers are
      available all the days. On-site assemblies are scheduled for Monday,
      January 30 and
      Monday, January 30.
      Group 1: The Quebe Sisters (Texas) & Luiz Carlos Borges and Marizio
      Marquez (Brazil)
      Group 2: The Renato Borghetti Quartet (Brazil) & The Arivada Ramblers
      (Montana & Arizona)

      Tuesday, January 31
      Group 1: Sourdough Slim (California) & Luiz Carlos Borges and Marizio
      Marquez (Brazil)
      Group 2: The Renato Borghetti Quartet (Brazil) & The Arivada Ramblers
      (Montana & Arizona)

      These programs are excellent for all grade levels. Times are to be
      arranged with two sessions available in the mornings and one session
      in the afternoon, depending on school locations.

      Costs are $250 for one assembly and $350 for two performances by the
      same performers at the same school.

      Young Buckaroo Poetry Sessions
      The Young Buckaroo Poetry Sessions will be held Saturday, February 4,
      at the Elko Junior High School Auxiliary Gym. Students are encouraged
      to perform original poetry, classic recitations, and western music.
      This event is free to all participants and attendees.

      To schedule your students to attend the 2006 National Cowboy Poetry
      Gathering education programs, please contact me at 775-738-5668. If
      I'm not home please leave a message.

      This year's educational programs promise to be interesting,
      educational and most all, fun. We hope you will be able to participate.

      Sincerely,

      Jan Petersen
      Education Coordinator, National Cowboy Poetry Gathering.