National Student/Parent Mock Election - October 30, 2008

  • Jim Poston
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 28, 2008
      Northern Nevada Home Schools is again participating in the National
      Student/Parent Mock Election.

      The National Student/Parent Mock Election is a citizenship education
      project that invites every American Student, from kindergarten through
      college level, parents, and grandparents, too, to participate. It seeks to help
      all generations become excited, involved, and comfortable with the
      electoral process. They provide tons of educational material at
      http://www.nationalmockelection.org/curriculum.html

      NNHS voting will be online. You can use any computer connected to the
      Internet. Each voter can vote only once, but everyone in the family can
      vote, including parents, and grandparents! There are sections for national
      and state offices, county ballot questions, and some opinion questions.

      National Voting Day is Thursday, October 30, 2008, but as soon as you get
      your code, you can vote early. If you'd like to vote, just send me an email
      with the first names of the prospective voters. I'll reply with your voting
      codes. The names are just to keep the codes straight and are not
      attached to the ballots in any way.

      Let me know if you have any questions.
      Get out and vote!

      --
      Jim Poston
      vote@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 28, 2008
        On 28 Oct 2008 at 18:35, Jim Poston wrote:

        > Northern Nevada Home Schools is again participating in the National
        > Student/Parent Mock Election.

        I'm sorry I didn't clarify - any homeschooler in Nevada can vote in our
        precinct. (And sorry for the late notice)

        Send me an email if you're interested!

        --
        Jim Poston
        vote@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 28, 2008
          We are interested in participating in this mock election.
          Our families names are: Patrick, Lana, Austin and Melanie
          Can our dog vote too?  Just kidding... I saw a cartoon recently and it showed the dog with a "I voted" sticker on his chest.  It really made me chuckle.
          Thank you,
          Lana
          On Oct 28, 2008, at 6:35 PM, Jim Poston wrote:

[...]

        • vchposton
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 29, 2008
            --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com, Lana Linstruth <lanal@...> wrote:

            > We are interested in participating in this mock election.
            > Our families names are: Patrick, Lana, Austin and Melanie
            > Can our dog vote too? Just kidding... I saw a cartoon recently and
            it
            > showed the dog with a "I voted" sticker on his chest.

            Hehe, no, your dog can't vote unless he has a government-issued ID
            with his pawprint. ;-)

            Would you send me an email message to vote@...? I'm reading
            messages from the website and the email addresses are obscured.
            Thanks!

            --
            Jim
            vote@...
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 29, 2008
              On 28 Oct 2008 at 18:35, Jim Poston wrote:

              > Northern Nevada Home Schools is again participating in the National
              > Student/Parent Mock Election.

              I voted in the mock election, and I only wish "real" voting could be this easy. Quick, easy, and in
              the comfort of your own home, on your own schedule. How convenient it would be, and if
              increased participation is desired, this is the way to go. I think many more people would vote if
              Internet voting is a possibility. I think in our children's lifetimes, security will be deemed strong
              enough to open up Internet voting. Unfortunately, probably not in mine.

              Anyway, if you'd like an easy way to register your vote and your childrens' votes, let me know. I'll
              send you voting codes and you can try it yourself.

              McCain is leading early voting with 86% of vote. Surprisingly, on "favorite subject", 12 different
              subjects have received at least one vote - but not one for English! Go figure. (Not surprising!)

              Official voting ends tomorrow, but "late" votes will be counted up until Election Day on Tuesday,
              November 4.

              --
              Jim Poston
              vote@...