Fun Facts about past Presidents.

  • MaryJo King
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2008

      Here are some fun facts I found in the Nickelodeon Magazine.  I thought they were very interesting & that you all may enjoy them too.

      Mary Jo

      John Quincy Adams (1825-1829) He kept a pet alligator in the East Room bathtub at the White House.

      Andrew Johnson (1865-1869) He never went to school but taught himself to read when he was a teenager.

      James Buchanan (1857-1861) He liked to host sauerkraut and mashed potato parties.

      William Henry Harrison (1841) He brought a cow to the White House because he noticed a lack of good, fresh milk.

      Thomas Jefferson (1801-1809) When he became president, a well-wisher sent him a 1,235 pound wheel of cheese.

      George Washington (1789-1797) His false teeth were made of elephant and walrus tusks.

      Grover Cleveland (1885-1889 and 1893-1897) The Baby Ruth candy bar was named after his daughter Ruth.

      Warren G. Harding (1921-1923) His dog, an Airedale terrier named Laddie Boy, would deliver the newspaper each morning and had his own chair for cabinet meetings.

      Lyndon B. Johnson (1963-1969) He sometimes held meetings with his advisers while sitting on the toilet.

      Theodore Roosevelt (1901-1909) He let his six children walk through the White House on stilts.

      Abraham Lincoln (1861-1865) He carried letters, bills, and notes in his tall, black stovepipe hat.

      Ronald Regan (1981-1989) He loved jelly beans so much that he kept a jar of them on his desk.

      Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933-1945) When the king and queen of England came to the White House for a visit, he served them hot dogs.

      George W. Bush (2001-present) He held Little League tryouts on the White House lawn for the first time.

      Benjamin Harrison (1889-1893) Although he and his family had electricity installed in the White House, they were afraid of it and refused to touch the switches.

      Andrew Jackson (1829-1837) When he was young, he was a practical joker and was known for moving people's outhouses in the night to where they could not locate them.