Does anyone use classical curriculum?

  • kalmbad
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2008
      Hi! I'm researching homeschooling options and am interested in finding
      out if anyone in the area uses a classical Christian curriculum or has
      any experience in teaching the trivium.

      If you don't use classical Christian, but do use a faith-based
      curriculum, please chime in and let me know what you use or have used
      in the past, and if you liked it.

      And a little bit about me: I'm Bethany, mother of three; my oldest is
      5 years old and slated to start public school August 18th. We have
      been having serious second thoughts on sending her to Kindergarten, and
      are exploring our options.

      I'm hoping that this board is still an active resource I see that there
      haven't been any posts for a while.

      B--
    • Johnny B.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2008
        Whoa! I had forgotten about this group. No one has posted in forever. I know that Abeka is a Christian curriculum. It is expensive from what I've heard though. Hope that is some help.

        Hi! I'm researching homeschooling options and am interested in finding
        out if anyone in the area uses a classical Christian curriculum or has
        any experience in teaching the trivium.

        If you don't use classical Christian, but do use a faith-based
        curriculum, please chime in and let me know what you use or have used
        in the past, and if you liked it.

        And a little bit about me: I'm Bethany, mother of three; my oldest is
        5 years old and slated to start public school August 18th. We have
        been having serious second thoughts on sending her to Kindergarten, and
        are exploring our options.

        I'm hoping that this board is still an active resource I see that there
        haven't been any posts for a while.

        B--

        FREE Emoticons for your email – by IncrediMail! Click Here!
      • mackeckids
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 7, 2008
          I don't use classical curriculum, but I get a catalog from Veritas
          Press that appears to be very good. Their website is
          veritaspress.com. A book with a thorough treatment of classical
          education (not necessarily Christian, however) is the "Well-Trained
          Mind" by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer.

          I am using the Robinson Homeschool Self-teaching Curriculum that is
          all on 22 CDs and uses ~100 year old books that have expired
          copyrights as well as classics. It even includes chemistry and
          Physics texts and the Bible. The focus is on the basic 3 Rs. The
          website is www.robinsoncurriculum.com. We have used this for the
          last year. I am relieved now that I know this is the best path and
          my kids are not missing anything as there is a lot of fun fluff out
          there to waste our efforts. My name is Marla and my kiddies are 6 and
          8.

          I also have some things from Christian Liberty Press
          (www.Christianlibertypress.com) especially for the young reader.
          Christian Light Education also has some good books. A great discount
          resource for books and curriculum is www.rainbowresource.com. (Be
          sure to NOT put an "s" at the end as that is an alternative lifestyle
          website.)

          Hope this helps.

          GOOD LUCK!
          Marla