Hello

  • shauntaalburger
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 12, 2007
      Hi! I hope it's okay that I joined this group. We actually live in
      Ely (actually, McGill), but there is no homeschool group here and I
      would really love to connect with other homeschooling families.

      My name is Shaunta. I have three kids: Adrienne is a ninth grader in
      school, Nick is a homeschooled mildly-autistic eighth grader and Ruby
      is three and just has fun. My husband is Kevin.

      Let's see. I'm a substitute teacher, Kevin is a poker dealer at the
      Hotel Nevada. I've just started homeschooling Nick. He was so
      miserable at school and I just couldn't make him go anymore. I've
      homeschooled both Nick and Adrienne before at different times when it
      was called for. I believe that Nick is done with public school.
      Adrienne loves it and thrives there, but she knows that it isn't
      compulsory.

      We tend toward a combination of unschooling and project-based,
      child-led learning.

      Can't wait to get to know everyone!
    • Carolyn Steninger
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 16, 2007
        Hi Shaunta,
          You are very welcome to join the group! We welcome homeschoolers from anywhere and are always glad to know you're out there. People sometimes ask whether homeschooling negatively affects children's social abilities, which I personally think couldn't be farther from the truth! I think it is the parent's social lives that are more negatively impacted. We don't get that automatic community of parents that we would have if our kids were in a classroom, therefore we need to find and create our own community.  That was part of why I started ECHO. ECHO-NV has a lot of potential, but thus far seems to be serving the regional homeschoolers primarily as a bulletin board. As moderator I guess I do a lousy job of getting conversations going, or organizing group activities, but anyone with better skills in those areas is free to jump in and make things happen.

          To respond to your kind introduction, my name is Carolyn, I live on the outskirts of Spring Creek and I have two daughters. Nikki is just about 12 and Claire is 9. We also tend toward a combination of unshchooling (meaning we find a lot of our significant learning opportunities outside of books ;)), and project-based child led learning. My girls absolutely love our math program, RightStart Mathematics, beg me to read from our history book, The Story of the World, and when they aren't out riding their horses, building forts, or creating new identities for themselves out of the dress ups box, are usually found with their noses stuck in a book. If nothing else, I feel I have given my children a real love of learning I doubt they would have gotten elsewhere.

         I always find it interesting when teachers (or substitute teachers) homeschool. I guess it shouldn't surprise me as it is obvious that you love teaching (hence the job), but how do you find the balance between the institution of public education and your own less than traditional homeschooling style?

         Do you ever get up to Elko? There are some great activities going on here during the Cowboy Poetry Gathering. Be sure to let us know if you come to town and we can try to get some folks together.

        Sincerely,
        Carolyn (aka nevadafiddler)

        --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com, "shauntaalburger" <shauntaalburger@...> wrote:

        > Hi! I hope it's okay that I joined this group. We actually live in
        > Ely (actually, McGill), but there is no homeschool group here and I
        > would really love to connect with other homeschooling families.
        >
        > My name is Shaunta. I have three kids: Adrienne is a ninth grader in
        > school, Nick is a homeschooled mildly-autistic eighth grader and Ruby
        > is three and just has fun. My husband is Kevin.
        >
        > Let's see. I'm a substitute teacher, Kevin is a poker dealer at the
        > Hotel Nevada. I've just started homeschooling Nick. He was so
        > miserable at school and I just couldn't make him go anymore. I've
        > homeschooled both Nick and Adrienne before at different times when it
        > was called for. I believe that Nick is done with public school.
        > Adrienne loves it and thrives there, but she knows that it isn't
        > compulsory.
        >
        > We tend toward a combination of unschooling and project-based,
        > child-led learning.
        >
        > Can't wait to get to know everyone!

      • Shaunta Alburger
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 16, 2007
          Hi Carolyn!

          We get to Elko about once a month and could come more often if there
          was a reason. I'd love to get my whole family up there for some
          Cowboy Poetry Gathering events. Which do you reccomend? Which are
          you going to? I love Elko. It's been one of my favorite places since
          I lived in Battle Mountain in 1999. We moved back to Las Vegas after
          a year, and I was really torn between Elko and Ely when we moved North
          again. We have family in Ely, but I love Elko so much. I sort of
          wish now that we'd gone the other way.

          There is such a strong distinction between what I do at home with Nick
          and what I see at school. I'm going to school full-time myself and
          was having a really hard time choosing between GBC's teacher or social
          worker program. After just a few days of subbing I knew that I could
          never, never be a teacher full-time. I like subbing right now because
          it's flexible (I can take time off, for instance, to come to Elko for
          the Cowboy Poetry Gathering) and it pays pretty well (about $100 a
          day.) Also, being in the classroom as a teacher has really opened my
          eyes. Ruby is 3. There is no way I can send her to kindergarden in a
          couple of years.

          I'm reading the Teenage Liberation Handbook by Grace Llewellyn. If
          you haven't read it, it's amazing. I asked my daughter Adrienne, who
          is a freshman at White Pine High School, what she would do if she
          didn't have to go to school. At first she said, "I'd go to school."
          Then she asked what I would have done. It took a minute, but I
          realized that when I was 15 I was deeply into sports, and I would have
          had so much time to train. I had a dream then of being in the
          Olympics, and who knows maybe I would have made it if I didn't have to
          be at school 8 hours a day. And I would have taken college classes if
          I could have. Then she told me that if she didn't have to go to
          school, she'd write a novel. Sigh. She isn't ready to give up
          school, but I'm at least trying to give her an open mind and make
          school her decision and not a compulsory thing.

          My husband and I are going to be in Elko the weekend after Christmas.