Hello

  • shepcarpclan
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 23, 2007
      Hello,

      We are currently living in Las Vegas. We will be locating to the
      Elko area next year. I would love to get to know other homeschoolers
      in that area now. I am a mother to five children and have homeschooled
      for 8 years now. I am currently involved with a very busy group here
      and look forward to meeting others from your area. I am also a Girl
      Scout leader with a Brownie troop.

      Heather
    • Cheryl WHite
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 26, 2007
        Hello Heather,

        My name is Cheryl I moved to Elko (Spring Creek)  from Las Vegas about 15 months ago. I homeschool my 9 year old daughter Jamie. I must say that the group here is small, Nothing like the groups in Vegas. Jamie & I would like to meet you as well.

        Cheryl

        shepcarpclan <shepcarpclan@...> wrote:
        Hello,

        We are currently living in Las Vegas. We will be locating to the
        Elko area next year. I would love to get to know other homeschoolers
        in that area now. I am a mother to five children and have homeschooled
        for 8 years now. I am currently involved with a very busy group here
        and look forward to meeting others from your area. I am also a Girl
        Scout leader with a Brownie troop.

        Heather

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Barn Babe
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 27, 2007
          Cheryl,
          Aren't you Brenda's sister (from Lake Havasu City)? If so I met you when I first moved here a year ago. I had run into Brenda in Wal-mart very shortly after moving here. Tara

          shepcarpclan <shepcarpclan@ yahoo.com> wrote:
          Hello,

          We are currently living in Las Vegas. We will be locating to the
          Elko area next year. I would love to get to know other homeschoolers
          in that area now. I am a mother to five children and have homeschooled
          for 8 years now. I am currently involved with a very busy group here
          and look forward to meeting others from your area. I am also a Girl
          Scout leader with a Brownie troop.

          Heather

          Do You Yahoo!?
          http://mail. yahoo.com

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Cheryl WHite

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 12, 2007
                Hi! I hope it's okay that I joined this group. We actually live in
                Ely (actually, McGill), but there is no homeschool group here and I
                would really love to connect with other homeschooling families.

                My name is Shaunta. I have three kids: Adrienne is a ninth grader in
                school, Nick is a homeschooled mildly-autistic eighth grader and Ruby
                is three and just has fun. My husband is Kevin.

                Let's see. I'm a substitute teacher, Kevin is a poker dealer at the
                Hotel Nevada. I've just started homeschooling Nick. He was so
                miserable at school and I just couldn't make him go anymore. I've
                homeschooled both Nick and Adrienne before at different times when it
                was called for. I believe that Nick is done with public school.
                Adrienne loves it and thrives there, but she knows that it isn't
                compulsory.

                We tend toward a combination of unschooling and project-based,
                child-led learning.

                Can't wait to get to know everyone!
              • Carolyn Steninger
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 16, 2007
                  Hi Shaunta,
                    You are very welcome to join the group! We welcome homeschoolers from anywhere and are always glad to know you're out there. People sometimes ask whether homeschooling negatively affects children's social abilities, which I personally think couldn't be farther from the truth! I think it is the parent's social lives that are more negatively impacted. We don't get that automatic community of parents that we would have if our kids were in a classroom, therefore we need to find and create our own community.  That was part of why I started ECHO. ECHO-NV has a lot of potential, but thus far seems to be serving the regional homeschoolers primarily as a bulletin board. As moderator I guess I do a lousy job of getting conversations going, or organizing group activities, but anyone with better skills in those areas is free to jump in and make things happen.

                    To respond to your kind introduction, my name is Carolyn, I live on the outskirts of Spring Creek and I have two daughters. Nikki is just about 12 and Claire is 9. We also tend toward a combination of unshchooling (meaning we find a lot of our significant learning opportunities outside of books ;)), and project-based child led learning. My girls absolutely love our math program, RightStart Mathematics, beg me to read from our history book, The Story of the World, and when they aren't out riding their horses, building forts, or creating new identities for themselves out of the dress ups box, are usually found with their noses stuck in a book. If nothing else, I feel I have given my children a real love of learning I doubt they would have gotten elsewhere.

                   I always find it interesting when teachers (or substitute teachers) homeschool. I guess it shouldn't surprise me as it is obvious that you love teaching (hence the job), but how do you find the balance between the institution of public education and your own less than traditional homeschooling style?

                   Do you ever get up to Elko? There are some great activities going on here during the Cowboy Poetry Gathering. Be sure to let us know if you come to town and we can try to get some folks together.

                  Sincerely,
                  Carolyn (aka nevadafiddler)

                  --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com, "shauntaalburger" <shauntaalburger@...> wrote:

                  > Hi! I hope it's okay that I joined this group. We actually live in
                  > Ely (actually, McGill), but there is no homeschool group here and I
                  > would really love to connect with other homeschooling families.
                  >
                  > My name is Shaunta. I have three kids: Adrienne is a ninth grader in
                  > school, Nick is a homeschooled mildly-autistic eighth grader and Ruby
                  > is three and just has fun. My husband is Kevin.
                  >
                  > Let's see. I'm a substitute teacher, Kevin is a poker dealer at the
                  > Hotel Nevada. I've just started homeschooling Nick. He was so
                  > miserable at school and I just couldn't make him go anymore. I've
                  > homeschooled both Nick and Adrienne before at different times when it
                  > was called for. I believe that Nick is done with public school.
                  > Adrienne loves it and thrives there, but she knows that it isn't
                  > compulsory.
                  >
                  > We tend toward a combination of unschooling and project-based,
                  > child-led learning.
                  >
                  > Can't wait to get to know everyone!

                • Shaunta Alburger
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 16, 2007
                    Hi Carolyn!

                    We get to Elko about once a month and could come more often if there
                    was a reason. I'd love to get my whole family up there for some
                    Cowboy Poetry Gathering events. Which do you reccomend? Which are
                    you going to? I love Elko. It's been one of my favorite places since
                    I lived in Battle Mountain in 1999. We moved back to Las Vegas after
                    a year, and I was really torn between Elko and Ely when we moved North
                    again. We have family in Ely, but I love Elko so much. I sort of
                    wish now that we'd gone the other way.

                    There is such a strong distinction between what I do at home with Nick
                    and what I see at school. I'm going to school full-time myself and
                    was having a really hard time choosing between GBC's teacher or social
                    worker program. After just a few days of subbing I knew that I could
                    never, never be a teacher full-time. I like subbing right now because
                    it's flexible (I can take time off, for instance, to come to Elko for
                    the Cowboy Poetry Gathering) and it pays pretty well (about $100 a
                    day.) Also, being in the classroom as a teacher has really opened my
                    eyes. Ruby is 3. There is no way I can send her to kindergarden in a
                    couple of years.

                    I'm reading the Teenage Liberation Handbook by Grace Llewellyn. If
                    you haven't read it, it's amazing. I asked my daughter Adrienne, who
                    is a freshman at White Pine High School, what she would do if she
                    didn't have to go to school. At first she said, "I'd go to school."
                    Then she asked what I would have done. It took a minute, but I
                    realized that when I was 15 I was deeply into sports, and I would have
                    had so much time to train. I had a dream then of being in the
                    Olympics, and who knows maybe I would have made it if I didn't have to
                    be at school 8 hours a day. And I would have taken college classes if
                    I could have. Then she told me that if she didn't have to go to
                    school, she'd write a novel. Sigh. She isn't ready to give up
                    school, but I'm at least trying to give her an open mind and make
                    school her decision and not a compulsory thing.

                    My husband and I are going to be in Elko the weekend after Christmas.