Thinking about home schooling

  • keen_hurrisense
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
      My wife and I are thinking about home schooling our daughter, but
      don't have a clue where to start. She is in 1st grade now, so we'll
      let her finish this year. We would like to start her next year, but
      don't know how to go about starting it. Can anyone please clue us in
      on what to do and who to talk to? Thanks so much.
    • missusfly
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2007
        First of all welcome aboard!!!
        Before you pull her out or don't put her back in next year you need to fill out an"intent to
        homeschool" form. You can get these from the school districts head office on Burns street.
        Fill it out and turn it in. Then if you aren't going to start homeschooling her untill the fall take
        your time and find a curriculum that best fits your life style and teaching style and your
        daughters learning style. There are a great number to choose from. I use a curriculum called
        K-12 because it works for us. Some make up their own. Thats about all there is to it as far as
        getting started. If you have other questions and concerns please call. 775-738-3404.
        sara paine

        --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com, "keen_hurrisense" <keen_hurrisense@...> wrote:

        > My wife and I are thinking about home schooling our daughter, but
        > don't have a clue where to start. She is in 1st grade now, so we'll
        > let her finish this year. We would like to start her next year, but
        > don't know how to go about starting it. Can anyone please clue us in
        > on what to do and who to talk to? Thanks so much.

      • Johnny B.
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2007
          Well, I suppose my main concern is, does the Elko school system require your child to learn A, B, C and D, and what are the circumstances as far as will my daughter need to take tests at one of the schools at some time during the year? When I did correspondence after high school, I had to take a final exam at the high school. Will she have to do that as well?

          Thanks so much,
          Johnny

          Before you pull her out or don't put her back in next year you need to fill out an"intent to
          homeschool" form. You can get these from the school districts head office on Burns street.
          Fill it out and turn it in. Then if you aren't going to start homeschooling her untill the fall take
          your time and find a curriculum that best fits your life style and teaching style and your
          daughters learning style. There are a great number to choose from. I use a curriculum called
          K-12 because it works for us. Some make up their own. Thats about all there is to it as far as
          getting started. If you have other questions and concerns please call. 775-738-3404.
          sara paine

          --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups .com, "keen_hurrisense" <keen_hurrisense@ ...> wrote:

          > My wife and I are thinking about home schooling our daughter, but
          > don't have a clue where to start. She is in 1st grade now, so we'll
          > let her finish this year. We would like to start her next year, but
          > don't know how to go about starting it. Can anyone please clue us in
          > on what to do and who to talk to? Thanks so much.

          FREE Emoticons for your email – by IncrediMail! Click Here!
        • missusfly
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2007
            Hi Johnny,
            Testing is optional. If you would like to have her tested the school district offers the test
            they give the public school kids. I have never had my kids tested. Now if you plan to put
            her back in public school and you do not use an accredited curriculum they can test her
            to see which grade she belongs in. And I think when she graduates from high school she
            will be required to take a proficiency test. But this may all change in time, for the rules
            always change when we are dealing with the school district. I have not graduated a child
            yet (4 years to go), so if there is anyone out there that knows differently please fill free to
            jump in to this conversation. I'd hate to be leading someone down the wrong path.
            I hope this helps.
            sara

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2007
              Thank you for the information. It is greatly appreciated.