School District Letter

  • rubycastle3
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 25, 2006
      Replying to: So, when you receive your letter from the School District
      as an "approved" homeschooler>>

      I forgot about getting "approved". We've lived in Idaho out in the
      boonies for 6 years.. We live IN town now..so I'm sure thing are
      different. To get this letter...I've already walked in the school and
      told people we homeschool...do I need to write a formal letter to my
      local school? Does everyone do this?

      Thanks!

      Sue
    • mledminsten
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 25, 2006
        If you contact the Central Office in Elko, they will give you packet
        to formally register as a homeschooler. I am not sure as to how many
        actually do this.

        That was the only identification I could think of to show an
        actual "proof" for us as teachers.

        Marsha
      • carl.lucas
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006
          Hi Sue,
          Telling people at the school is no good as far as the legal aspects and requirements are concerned.

          Pursuant to Nevada Revised Statute (NRS) 392.070 (1)  "attendance must excused when satisfactory written evidence is presented to the board of trustees of the school district in which the child resides"
          This is mandatory by law in order for you to homeschool in Nevada.As Marsha suggested, get a Homeschool Intent packet from the district office.In the packet you should find a form called the Initial Notice of Intent. If not, you can download one from the Dept. of Ed website at www.doe.nv.gov    When you file the initial notice of intent at the district office you must show the birth certificate of the child. Do not let them copy it or keep it on file.Copying a birth certificate is illegal( NRS 440.175 2a).Immediately upon receiving the Initial Intent Form the district office should give you some kind of "written acknowledgement" in the form of a receipt or something similar.
          Keep this receipt in a safe and handy location.This is the only real proof you have complied with the law for the year and may come in handy for other things like college entrance or Millennium Scholarship. Usually, then the intent form goes before the local board as a formality. They vote to accept the notice and then you will receive a letter of their action  that your child in excused from compulsory education some time ( sometimes weeks) down the road. If your paper work is complete they cannot deny you they don't have the authority.Some districts still use the words "application" and "approved". You are not applying for anything or asking approval.You are notifying them that you are going to homeschool.

          The school district should have a document called "Memorandum" to the school districts and the subject is "Current Homeschool Responsibilities After Recent Changes". Ask for this doc.It has all the current laws regs and explanations of how homeschooling should work in Nevada ( 54 pages worth).This doc was drafted by the Homeschool Advisory Councils ( us) and edited by our State Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Keith Rheault.

          Hope this helps.
          If you have any questions feel free to call me 775-273-1045

          -Carl
          NNHAC- President
          NHN- Secretary

          Upgrade your email with Emoticons! Click Here!