Get-together

  • sierranevada3344
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11, 2013
      Hey Homeschoolers!

      It's school time again and about time we get together. Over the summer we talked about doing a book club for the kids as well as for us adults. I think only two people responded back in the positive about the kids group. For the kids book group, only Breanna suggested a book - The Wind in the Willows, I think. Sounds like a great one to start off on. I don't think I have ever read it before. So read it with the kiddos, have them read it, whatever works for you and your family. Then we can get together and do some activity that relates to the book (having no idea what it is about, that will be TBDL). I'm still traveling  a lot, so I am going to propose we get together Friday OCT 25. My calendar says that is Nevada Day, and I don't really know if that is something people celebrate big around here, being rather new to NV. So if that is not a good day, we can push it to NOV 1st. Chime in if you want to be a part of this.

      Hope everyone is off to a great school year!
      Erica
    • Breanna Teintze
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2013
        Sounds awesome!  We can't do it on the 25th, unfortunately, because we have to be at my son's endocrinologist appointment in Salt Lake that day.  But if it works for everyone else, don't let us change the date!

        BTW, for a book for the adults in the group one suggestion would be a book I really enjoyed, "The Well-Adjusted Child" by (??) Gathercole.  (I forget her first name.  Ruth or Rachel I think.)  A more classical (fictions) suggestion...I don't know how long of a book everyone wants, and what preferences are for subject matter, but what about Gulliver's Travels?  Nothing like Swift's bathroom humor to liven up a discussion. ;)

        Cheers,

        Breanna
      • Erica Pheysey
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2013
          Okay,
          So for the kiddos we are reading Wind in the Willows and are going to meet November first at my house. (time-TBD)
          So far it sounds as if there is weakly more interest in an adult reading group and once again Breanna has come through in proposing the books -
          Gulliver's Travel is a favorite of mine, so I would be up for that. I have somewhat recently gotten into reading a few parenting style/schooling book and might be up for that too. What do the others that expressed interest in doing an adult reading group think?

          Cheers,
          erica