make a paper helicopter & do "real science"

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2013
      I volunteer up at the Sciencenter in Ithaca, and have the pleasure of sharing activities with children and families. One of my favorites this summer has been the helicopter which - if you've made one with me, you know that we test-fly off the balcony.

      The other day a youngster and I got to talking about possibilities: what if we changed this, or did that to the design. I added a few more questions and posted some fun stuff to try today over at Archimedes Notebook. All you need is paper, scissors, and time to play. It's a fun thing to do the last week of summer.

      I also posted a review of a new book about flight over at STEM Friday. check it out at

      And to celebrate the end-of-summer, beginning-of-fall walks in the woods, a review of Jo MacDonald hiked in the Woods over at Sally's Bookshelf. It's a fun sing-along book that will inspire kids to get out and listen for animals on their next trip to a wooded area.

      have fun exploring science & nature today!
      ~Sue