BOOK GROUP INTEREST? and We will be getting together again soon!

  • sierranevada3344
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 22, 2013
      Hey everyone,
      Hope that you are keeping cool this summer. And whether or not you are taking a complete break from homeschooling for the summer or not, I hope that you are at least keeping the kids reading! Speaking of that, I was thinking of starting up a book group once school starts back up, and was wanting to know if there would be much interest. I was thinking of getting a big (parent approved) book list and letting the kids pick which one they want to do each month, or bi-monthly and then get together and do some fun activity - book related and talk about it. Since we have few numbers and a big age range, I was thinking we could just go with books that have a age range of about 3rd-6th grade and if your kids aren't reading at all or at that level yet, then you can just read to them so they can still participate. Is there anyone out there that would be interested in doing this?

      Also, I have been out of town most all summer but I do plan on starting bi-monthly get-togethers once I get back to NV - September. I really hope that we can keep the momentum of getting together rolling again and gaining in strength and numbers. I hope that everyone is enjoying summer and hope to hear from you soon.

      Cheers,
      Erica
    • Breanna Teintze
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 24, 2013
        Sounds great!  Who should keep track of the book list?  Are we taking suggestions, or using an established list?

        Breanna
      • Breanna Teintze
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 24, 2013
          Sounds great!  Are we taking suggestions for the list yet, or do we already have a list?

          Breanna
        • Pheyter
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 24, 2013
            A list is open for suggestions. I was thinking we could just rotate through all the kids picking from it.

            Hope to hear from more people!!!!

            Erica

          • dayseegerl@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 24, 2013
              Hi! We are interested!
              Amy

              Sent from my Verizon Wireless Droid

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 24, 2013
                How about Wind in the Willows, then?  If we have a get-together it should be easy to have folks bring stuff for English tea.  The food in that book always sounds so delicious. :)

                Breanna
              • jennetta
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 25, 2013
                  This looks fun!

                  How about starting a book group for homeschooling parents too? Anyone interested?

                  Jennetta
                  Ruby Valley

                  --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com, Breanna Teintze <breanna.teintze@...> wrote:

                  > How about Wind in the Willows, then? If we have a get-together it should
                  > be easy to have folks bring stuff for English tea. The food in that book
                  > always sounds so delicious. :)
                  >
                  > Breanna

                • Erica Pheysey
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 25, 2013
                    Okay Breanna, Wind in the Willows is on the list. Anyone else want to pipe up with suggestions, just email me and I will get a master list going.
                    I'd be up for a adult book group too.

                    Email books for kids to read to : pheyter@...

                    On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM, jennetta <CnJBILLHIMER@...> wrote:
                    This looks fun!

                    How about starting a book group for homeschooling parents too? Anyone interested?

                    Jennetta
                    Ruby Valley

                    --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com, Breanna Teintze <breanna.teintze@...> wrote:

                    > How about Wind in the Willows, then?  If we have a get-together it should
                    > be easy to have folks bring stuff for English tea.  The food in that book
                    > always sounds so delicious. :)
                    >
                    > Breanna

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        ECHO-NV-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        ECHO-NV-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    --
                    Erica Pheysey
                    801-874-5302 cell

                    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes,
                    but in having new eyes."
                    — Marcel Proust
                  • dayseegerl@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 25, 2013
                      Jennetta, good idea!!

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 26, 2013
                        Book groups are cool. Our library is hosting a "tween" group for readers this summer. The multi-county system has book group kits that come in a box: ten copies of a book plus a leader's guide with activity ideas. That's for the kids.
                        They also have book club kits for adults.
                        Maybe your library system does too?

                        Speaking of books, I have posted a review today for STEM Friday with a link to other reviews - and there are some good books in this week's round up. On Monday I'm hosting a nonfiction round-up of books.

                        So if you're looking for nonfiction (bios, STEM, etc) think about getting an email subscription so new reviews come to your box.
                        Sally's Bookshelf (fiction, nf, author interviews, etc) http://sallysbookshelf.blogspot.com/
                        Archimedes notebook (STEM books, hands-on science)http://archimedesnotebook.blogspot.com/

                        enjoy summer reading!
                        ~Sue