Science & history

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2013
      If you're looking for some cool science, check out my post on watching flying insects through binoculars - birdwatchers carry binoculars and a check list. Why not bug-watchers.
      If you live in or around Ithaca and want to grab a copy of Dragonflies Through Binoculars, I saw one at Autumn Leaves yesterday as I was ambling thorough.

      Over at Sally's Bookshelf I'm hosting a blog tour & author interview with Pamela Tuck - she's the "New Voices" winner at Lee & Low for her picture book about the civil rights era. The story is a fictionalized account of her father's experiences in the early 60's - right after schools were integrated (if you're of a certain age you may remember the whole "busing" issue). It is both heartwarming and sad.

      Pamela, by the way, homeschools her 11 children - and still found time to write this book and a couple others! I so enjoyed my chat with her, and she chalks up her success as a writer to her very supportive husband - and having a couple hours each evening as "individual time" where everyone does their own thing (read, play quiet game, make something).

      ~Sue Heavenrich