Japanese Internment Camp - a story for kids

    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2013
      When my oldest son was 10, we happened to visit a museum in Salt Lake City that featured an exhibit on the Topaz Japanese Internment camp. He wanted to learn more - but back then, there were few resources. A couple years later (when he went to a middle school) he did an independent project on Internment camps, reading many journals and letters. In college he minored in Asian Studies, learned (some) Japanese, and now is in Japan.

      Over the intervening years there have been a number of good books published for kids that show the Japanese Internment camp history. This year Katie Yamasaki has a new picture book inspired by her family's experience in such a camp. The book is "Fish for Jimmy". I posted a review at http://sallysbookshelf.blogspot.com/2013/05/fish-for-jimmy.html

      ~Sue Heavenrich