- Friday March 29 from 10:30 to 11:30 grab your Easter Basket and head on down to The Elko County Library s Spring EGGstravaganza. This event is designed forMessage 1 of 1 , Mar 20 9:46 AMView Source
Friday March 29 from 10:30 to 11:30 grab your Easter Basket and head on down to The Elko County Library’s Spring EGGstravaganza. This event is designed for preschoolers, ages 0 to 5. There will be 5 simple games – i.e. Duck Pond, Bean Bag Bunny Toss. Children will win an Easter Egg at each activity. Also the Easter Bunny has promised be there. This is a free program – no pre-registration is needed.
Saturday, April 27 the Elko County Library will be celebrating “The Day of the Child/Day of the Book.” It is a celebration children, books, and activities from around the world. It is a special time for adults and children to bond, and learn more about our world through a wonderful multi-cultural experience. The theme this year will be “Friendship Comes in Many Colors.”
At 1:30 Josephine Atiemo, a native of Ghana, will relate the differences between living in Ghana and Elko. Josephine will dress in the traditional Ghanaian costume, bring pictures and treasures from the area, and teach us a traditional children’s call & response song. After her presentation there will be a question and answer period and an art activity – learning how different people and animals carry their babies. i.e. Mother kangaroo carries her baby roo in her pouch, Mama alligator carries her babies in her mouth, and what are the different ways human Mothers carry their babies? Bring your doll along to help with the experience!
From 2:00 to 3:30 there will be crafts from many different countries in which children and adults may participate.
· Musical instruments from China (Gong) & Australia (Didgeridoo).
· Make a Hands Around the World Wreath.
· Decorate a Boomerang, but please no hunting inside the library with them.
· Make and decorate an English Crackers (not the kind you eat). Another name for this holiday tradition in the UK is Snaps or Poppers.
· Decorate Chopsticks, and then try them out in a chopstick race. How many cotton balls can you get from one container into another in 30 seconds by using chopsticks only?
There will also be a table with multi-cultural games that participants may play.
This is a free program made possible by an LSTA Grant (Library Systems and Technology Act) and proceeds from the Scholastic Book Fair.
Mary Jo King
Elko County Library