Youth groups?

  • stirrupsnsage
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2013
      Are there any homeschool groups for youth that are meeting in the area? If not is there interest in starting one? Something such as a group who finds service to participate in together or where there is a topic to study together?

      Jennetta
      Ruby Valley

    • evenstarbella
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
        My husband is a geologist, and I know he would love to do this. He does similar stuff with the scouts all the time. I have heard there is a place to dig fossils too, but we haven't been yet. I will talk to him about setting something up.

        -Arwen

        --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com, CnJBILLHIMER@... wrote:

        > Does anyone know of any geologists, paleontologist, or other kinds of scientists who might be interested in doing some kind of presentation for the Elko homeschoolers??Is there someone in this group?even, who?could talk to us about how the mountains in the area were formed, and how we get the different kinds of rocks that we do in the area? Are there places to dig fossils around here? Other neat things to do for hands-on study of the earth?in the Elko area? Even perhaps someone at the mines?
        > ?
        > Jennetta
        > Ruby Valley????
        > ?

      • evenstarbella
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
          We are involved in two Cub Scout packs, both of which have homeachoolers in them, but they are not made up entirely of homeschoolers. That is probably not what you are looking for, but I would like to invite anyone who is interested.

          One is Pack 850, which is the community pack that meets at Spring Creek Elementary. It is huge, and I know of at least a couple other homeschooling families involved in it. (It is hard to know everyone because the pack is so big.) One of the den leaders is even a homeschooling mom. Any boy who is 1st grade - 5th grade aged can join.

          The other is Pack 424, a church sponsored pack (LDS, but you don't have to be LDS, or any other denomination to join). It is much smaller. Right now there are only 13 boys, one of which is a homeschooler. There will be two more homeschoolers joining later this year - Dana's son in October and mine in December - when they turn 8. In this pack everything is done by age instead of school year, and any boy between 8 and 10 is welcome. I am the den leader for the 8 and 9 year olds currently, and we have tons of fun, do a lot of service and go on a lot of field trips.

          Cub Scouting is a family-centered program. It is about building boys' character, teaching them life skills, giving them opportunities in the community, as well as strengthening the family and having fun. Kind of like homeschooling.

          -Arwen

          --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com, CnJBILLHIMER@... wrote:

          > Are there any homeschool groups for youth that are meeting in the area? If not is there interest in starting one? Something such as?a group who finds service to participate in together or where there is a topic to study together?
          > ?
          > Jennetta
          > Ruby Valley????
          > ?

        • Erica Pheysey
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013

            Well, I guess we have four geologists in the group then! Mark, myself, my husband John, and Arwen's husband--in a place like Elko, they are easy to come across. I was planning a fossil field trip as soon as things warmed and dried up bit more.

            Jeanetta- are you looking for an older age kids group than what we have so far?  Right now we have from 10 months to nine year olds coming. Currently we meet every other week. I'd like to get to weekly though. And I'm planning on starting some group projects together-science stuff, anything.

            Erica

            On Mar 15, 2013 11:45 PM, <CnJBILLHIMER@...> wrote:

            Does anyone know of any geologists, paleontologist, or other kinds of scientists who might be interested in doing some kind of presentation for the Elko homeschoolers? Is there someone in this group even, who could talk to us about how the mountains in the area were formed, and how we get the different kinds of rocks that we do in the area? Are there places to dig fossils around here? Other neat things to do for hands-on study of the earth in the Elko area? Even perhaps someone at the mines?

            Jennetta
            Ruby Valley

          • Elisa Liebelt