nonfiction books - and women's history

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2013
      A number of us bloggers are reviewing women's achievements for this first Nonfiction Monday in Women's History Month.

      For any of you that connect with schools (as librarians, volunteers, teachers) - the core standards require more inclusion of nonfiction reading across the curriculum. Instead of buying new textbooks, check out some of the really good nf books that are out there. Even picture books can be appropriate for older readers.

      Today I'm reviewing "I could do that!" by Linda Arms White - about Esther Morris who helped women get the vote. Morris was born in Tioga County, NY - not far from my town. And she moved to Wyoming - I visited her homesite this past summer & have a photo of it on the blog. So Enjoy.

      Also, head over to the NF Monday group to see what other women history (and other nonfiction) people are reviewing. You might get some great ideas to add to your curriculum this month.

      http://supratentorial.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/non-fiction-monday-welcome/

      And, if you're looking for some good examples of compare/contrast structure (for, say, your English/reading work) check out what Melissa Stewart has to say today at
      http://celebratescience.blogspot.com/2013/03/having-fun-with-common-core-text.html

      Don't know what it's like at your house, but here, with snow drifting down and a good fire in the furnace, it's a perfect morning to pick up a book.
      ~Sue Heavenrich