Re: New to Homeschooling/CPS

  • rstantonmomof2
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
      Well we did it!! We officially pulled Isabel out of school this morning! I called ESD and they were awfully rude and started threatening me and telling me how the law can get involved and I should have waited to pull her out until I had filled out the Intent to Homeschool form and had her enrolled into a homeschooling program. I just stopped her and started quoting laws to her and she backed off and told me to just turn in the paperwork to be on the safe side and that it is true that I don't have to technically do anything until she is 7, however since she has already been in the public school system I feel like it is the best idea for me to go ahead and turn the forms in. She did tell me that if someone sees my daughter not in school they have the right to call authorities and I may have them come to my door...Has this ever really happened to anyone? I am almost in shock at how many rights the school system feels they have over our children!
      So wow! I can't believe I did it! We are excited! :)
      Carolyn I would love to learn information about your method of unschooling. If you don't mind me asking, what did you tell the school district about your method? They demanded that I tell them what program I was using for all subjects and I just told them a name of one of the programs I have researched online and I had to print off the web page of the school to send to them so they know what my child is learning. I don't know how much they look into this.
      It would be so awesome to meet up with some homeschoolers! Hopefully we can do this at some point!

      --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com, "Carolyn" wrote:

      > Welcome to Nevada, Rebecca! As I told you in my email we are an unschooling family and I'd be happy to share more about that if you're interested. You can also look at some of the messages here for links I've posted for more information.
      >
      > To Everyone Else:
      > Rebecca shared with me that her 6 yo has been enrolled in first grade in Wells. When she told the administrators that she was thinking of homeschooling, they were very unsupportive (surprise, surprise) and told her that if her daughter was truant for more than 10 days they could open a case with Child Protective Services. My question is, because Nevada's compulsory education is for age 7 why would they be concerned about a 6 yo staying home. Perhaps because she's already enrolled, but it would seem to me that she should be able to just say, "Oops, I thought we were ready, my bad, see you when she's 7". Of course she also has the option of filing the form of intent to homeschool and keeping them off her back. It would seem to me worth it to keep her name out of the bureaucratic files of CPS. Any ideas?
      >
      > Also, would anyone like to share what method they're using for home education to give Rebecca some ideas of what might work for her family?
      >
      > And lastly, would any of you like to propose a meet and greet for folks just getting started in homeschooling? I know it's a little hard with this cold weather, but maybe a small gathering at someone's home.
      >
      > Carolyn
      >
      > --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com, "rstantonmomof2" wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi everyone!
      > > My name is Rebecca and I recently relocated to Wells, NV from Washington state. Quite a big change! I have 2 daughters, a 6 year old and a 7 month old. My 6 year old is currently enrolled in first grade here but I am debating taking her out and homeschooling her. I am mostly concerned with the social part of homeschooling as we have left all our friends and family behind in Washington and have not really found friends here in Wells. I am also wondering about different methods of homeschooling. I would really appreciate any advice and information any of you may have for me!!
      > > Thanks!

    • jolie7779
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
        GREAT JOB REBECCA! I'm very proud of you! :)

        Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling! I have been blessed to be able to homeschool for at least 12 years. We live in Elko and have 6 kiddos (ages 2-16).

        Even after all these years of homeschooling I still feel like I have TONS to learn and I look forward to it - I'd better since I still hopefully have at least 16 years left. LOL! It's been a wonderful but intimidating (at times) ride. The first 3 years especially were wrought with feelings of inadequacy and I've heard that is pretty normal.

        When we decided that we were going to homeschool, I was also shocked at the treatment we received from the school district. Many times when I walked into the building the people were very polite, kind and professional. The second I mentioned that I needed homeschool forms, the entire atmosphere changed in a hurry! They were rude and condescending after that. It shocked me the first few times it happened. I've had friends, family members and public school teachers take it personally and be very unsupportive. But for the most part, I've experienced acceptance and encouragement.

        I wish I would've been able to "get my mind around" UNschooling when I first started but to be honest, my public school education was a HUGE hindrance to the way I schooled my children. I've read that we have a tendency to teach the way we were taught, even if that way was inefficient, among other things. I still fight those tendencies. Thanks to the amazing amount of support, homeschooling literature, the pioneers before us and the internet, I've learned SO MUCH. We are now taking a classical/unschooling approach vs. a school-at-home method and the advancement is incredible and such an amazing freedom! Carolyn is so knowledgeable and helpful in the way of unschooling!

        Home School Legal Defense Association: http://www.hslda.org/ is a good homeschooling resource. (If you haven't already run across this.)

        I'm impressed that you're reaching out right out of the gate - that should help! I would love to get together for a meet-and-greet! Please feel free to email me anytime! goddardgang@...

        May you be richly blest on your new journey!
        Jolie

> [...]
        > >
        > > Carolyn
        > >
        > > --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com, "rstantonmomof2" wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi everyone!
        > > > My name is Rebecca and I recently relocated to Wells, NV from Washington state. Quite a big change! I have 2 daughters, a 6 year old and a 7 month old. My 6 year old is currently enrolled in first grade here but I am debating taking her out and homeschooling her. I am mostly concerned with the social part of homeschooling as we have left all our friends and family behind in Washington and have not really found friends here in Wells. I am also wondering about different methods of homeschooling. I would really appreciate any advice and information any of you may have for me!!

      • Andy and Dana Dyer
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
          In Nevada we only have to turn in a form to the school district once.  (Unless the child is ever put back in public school.  In that case you'd need to turn in another one if they return to homeschooling.)

          I was extremely vague in giving a description of my methods / curriculum.  I always said that I would include a variety of learning resources including....

          I can email you later some of the things I've used. (my baby is just waking up...so I gotta run!)

          But, welcome!

          I am thinking we could do a sledding party here if anyone is interested.

          Dana

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
            That's great Rebecca!

            You've done well to file the form and understand the laws relating to homeschooling. When I started homeschooling 10 years ago, we had to submit a lot more information, like listing our resources, etc. Each year the requirements were less and less, until we got to the current hands-off policy which allows homeschoolers to do their own thing. I would be happy to send you some of our previous submissions, but would be cautious about giving anyone more information than they can legally ask for. Stand your ground, and for the time being, maybe play "school" at home with worksheets, games, etc. and keep records of what you do each day. Again, it's good to know your rights, especially when there are those who assume they have more rights than you do.

            Dana, we'd love to do a sledding party! When you say "here" did you mean at your house? I think there's some decent sledding at the SC golf course, too. Email me and maybe we can put something together, OK?

            Carolyn

            --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com, Andy and Dana Dyer wrote:

            > In Nevada we only have to turn in a form to the school district once.  (Unless the child is ever put back in public school.  In that case you'd need to turn in another one if they return to homeschooling.)
            >
            > I was extremely vague in giving a description of my methods / curriculum.  I always said that I would include a variety of learning resources including....
            >
            > I can email you later some of the things I've used. (my baby is just waking up...so I gotta run!)
            >
            > But, welcome!
            >
            > I am thinking we could do a sledding party here if anyone is interested.
            >
            > Dana
            >
            > ________________________________

          • ursula stanton
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 15, 2013
              Carolyn,
              The statue that defines the rights of home schoolers is NRS 392.070. It is freely available online. If anyone would like to read it, simply google it. The addition comment I made about curriculum is on the district paperwork and is a part of the Elko County Intent to Home school packet. They are mainly concerned about getting kids back into the system after home schooling. It is available at the district offices across from the Great Basin College. The old county offices building. Please also mention that home schooled children are eligible to participate in classes, extra-curricular activities and sports that are within the child's school district. Mine participated in band and cross-country while at home. This is also where the curriculum comes in. NRS 392.070 section 3 speaks about the need to demonstrate to the satisfaction of the board of trustees that the child is qualified - I took this to mean that if you want to enroll your child in some sort of special education class or some such that they would need to ensure that your child met the eligibility requirements. There is a form that you can fill out and a waiver that you can obtain from the county offices that will allow your home school child to participate in sports and band and drama and such. It is also in the intent to home school packet. The packets are available on the card rack that is just inside the secretary's office door. There are other enrollment packets there as well, so look carefully. If they are not stocked up, as for the forms. I wish I had a link to a down loadable pdf for these. That would save the trouble of going into the district offices. Home this has helped.
              Thanks,

              Ursula Stanton
              Vice-President
              California Trail Center Foundation
              530 Idaho St, Elko, NV 89801

              "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity".

              Albert Einstein

              Welcome to Nevada, Rebecca! As I told you in my email we are an unschooling family and I'd be happy to share more about that if you're interested. You can also look at some of the messages here for links I've posted for more information.

              To Everyone Else:
              Rebecca shared with me that her 6 yo has been enrolled in first grade in Wells. When she told the administrators that she was thinking of homeschooling, they were very unsupportive (surprise, surprise) and told her that if her daughter was truant for more than 10 days they could open a case with Child Protective Services. My question is, because Nevada's compulsory education is for age 7 why would they be concerned about a 6 yo staying home. Perhaps because she's already enrolled, but it would seem to me that she should be able to just say, "Oops, I thought we were ready, my bad, see you when she's 7". Of course she also has the option of filing the form of intent to homeschool and keeping them off her back. It would seem to me worth it to keep her name out of the bureaucratic files of CPS. Any ideas?

              Also, would anyone like to share what method they're using for home education to give Rebecca some ideas of what might work for her family?

              And lastly, would any of you like to propose a meet and greet for folks just getting started in homeschooling? I know it's a little hard with this cold weather, but maybe a small gathering at someone's home.

              Carolyn

              --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com, "rstantonmomof2" wrote:

              > Hi everyone!
              > My name is Rebecca and I recently relocated to Wells, NV from Washington state. Quite a big change! I have 2 daughters, a 6 year old and a 7 month old. My 6 year old is currently enrolled in first grade here but I am debating taking her out and homeschooling her. I am mostly concerned with the social part of homeschooling as we have left all our friends and family behind in Washington and have not really found friends here in Wells. I am also wondering about different methods of homeschooling. I would really appreciate any advice and information any of you may have for me!!
              > Thanks!

            • elisaliebelt
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 16, 2013
                Just wanted to add that this packet is available online on the district website. Just look around there is an intent to homeschool link and then it can be mailed in. Very easy! Nevada is a great state to live in for homeschoolers!
                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                From: ursula stanton <dustanton@...>
                Sender: ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 10:35:42 -0800 (PST)