New to Homeschooling

  • rstantonmomof2
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2013
      Hi everyone!
      My name is Rebecca and I recently relocated to Wells, NV from Washington state. Quite a big change! I have 2 daughters, a 6 year old and a 7 month old. My 6 year old is currently enrolled in first grade here but I am debating taking her out and homeschooling her. I am mostly concerned with the social part of homeschooling as we have left all our friends and family behind in Washington and have not really found friends here in Wells. I am also wondering about different methods of homeschooling. I would really appreciate any advice and information any of you may have for me!!
      Thanks!
    • Elisa
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2013
        Hi! great to see another homeschooling family!! We live in Spring Creek, NV. This is our first year homeschooling. We have 3 children at home and 1 that is nearly done with high school(as of yet he has decided to stay in the public school) We pulled out then 2nd grader after last year. since we completed the year we didn't have any problems. Actually because the school is getting extremely over populated I could almost see the relief that I was taking one off their hands. I did not deal with the school district at all. I simply used their online website printed the form and mailed it in. Because my two littler ones are 4 and 2 the rules declared on the school district website confirm that I do not have to do paperwork on them until age 7.
        We are personally using geography matters trail guide to learning which is a charlotte mason approach and teaching textbooks for math for 3rd grade. My 4 year old is learning reading through 100 lessons to reading (fantastic program!) and using games and preschool workbook for math. my 2-year-old is usually much too busy tearing the house apart to be too terribly involved in curriculum! We do, however, involve her in any art learning, games, or read alouds. I hope this helps you. let me know if there is any other questions I can help with and best wishes!! Have fun!