snow fleas and a fun book

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2013
      The other day I headed out on my skinny skis and found that the snow in the woods had fleas! Not any old fleas, but "snow fleas" - a springtail that lives in soil and comes to the surface of snow on warmish days.
      So this week Archimedes Notebook takes a closer look at snow fleas.
      And if you're looking for a cozy book with a hint of science, check out Sally's Bookshelf for a review of "The Tree that Bear Climbed". It's written in a house-that-Jack-built style and fun to read aloud.
      Now, back to watching the feeder: a downy and hairy woodpecker trade turns at the suet.
      ~Sue