Educational Neglect Allegation

  • Brandy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2012
      Hello All,

      First of all I want to say that I enjoy everyone's posts about ideas for things to do. I don't post often, actually I think this might be the first time I have posted a message. But I need some advice or kind words after the day I have had. First let me give you a history of our situation. In the winter of 2010 I had CPS called on me a few weeks after I removed my children from school and decided to homeschool again. The social worker came to my home due to a claim of educational neglect for a few visits (according to her it was protocol for these visits) of course on the first visit she found no basis for this accusation and the case was closed. I figured the school I had removed the kids from had called them. Today, I then get a visit from the Family Resource Center in response to a second accusation to CPS of educational neglect. On the first visit my family of six (2 adults and 4 kids) were living in a 32 ft. RV with our power coming from a generator. I now live in a single wide 3 bedroom home and she needed to do an assessment of my home for safety reasons. Again she found no reason to think I am guilty of educational neglect. She was even impressed I had 2 sets of encyclopedias and educational material galore. I am trying to figure out why I am being targeted like this. I do know that I have some neighbors that don't agree with my choice but this is ridiculous. I live in a pretty rural area. I am starting to feel like I am being harassed. I guess I just need to hear from other homeschoolers their thoughts regarding this.

      Thanks for listening (reading) :-)

      Brandy
    • dave and tammy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 30, 2012
        Dear Brandy,

        The HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association) exists for cases just like yours.  It costs $100 per year (I'm pretty sure) to be a member, but they will defend you to the teeth for free should you have any problems with social workers, etc.  You can look them up online to find out more about them, but they are a wonderful resource for anyone who homeschools.  They will even tell you over the phone what to do when a social worker shows up on your doorstep, and you can even hand the phone to the social worker, and the HSLDA lawyer will get rid of them for you!  I've been a member for years.  If I were you, I'd check them out!

        Hope you get it worked out!
        Tammy

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional