the bees in our gardens (and on our farms)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2011
      I participate in the Great Sunflower project as a "citizen scientist" - which means that I keep tabs on the local bee species in my gardens. Like honeybees, native bee populations have been declining - not a good thing for farmers depending on these tiny guys to pollinate their crops!
      For the next month I'll be highlighting bees & pollinator services on my blog Archimedes Notebook. Today's post introduces the project - if you're a teacher, homeschooling parent, farmer or gardener, you might want to get involved. There's also a neat video clip of a bee collecting pollen.
      Watching bees combines observation skills, learning about science, math & data recording and - if you get involved in the project - doing "real" science research.
      If the link doesn't work, go to http://archimedesnotebook.blogspot.com/2011/07/counting-on-bees.html