542California Trail Days & Home Schoolers

  • Carolyn Steninger
    Mar 8, 2009
      Hi Folks,
        I was contacted recently by Gary Koy, BLM Park Ranger with the California National Historic Trail Interpretive Center, who wanted to run by me some ideas for including HS'ers in the California Trail Days. Here is what he sent me:

      It was a pleasure talking to you today. What I am proposing is incorporating some special activities for home schoolers inside of our California Trail Days event which is May 29 & 30 a Friday and Saturday.

      If you could float the following by your home schooler contacts and see what the level of interest is and what suggestions they might have so that we can better fit their needs.

      This is by no means set in stone...just a concept. I am basing it on about 20 kids:

      Friday May 29, 12 noon to 3:30 or 4:30 PM:

      Noon to 12:30 - Kids arrive.  Chaperons & volunteers help them get into period clothing... we have a pretty good supply but probably not enough to completely out fit all

      12:30 to 1:45 - Old Melodian Minstrels teach the kids a traditional square or contra dance on Plaza or in Trail Center Lobby

      2:00 to 2:30 - Dixon Ford does an Oxen Presentation Mini Amphitheater off Plaza

      2:45 to 3:15 - Terry Del Bene- Kids CA Trail History Program Mini Amphitheater off Plaza

      3:30 to 4:30 - (Optional) Frank Mullen Living History - John C Fremont -Multi purpose room

      General visitors including kids would be invited to take part in all activities.

         I am very excited about this program as my girls have been very involved with the Trail Center and have learned a lot about local and national history through their involvement. If you have any suggestions or would like to attend this event, please let me know by responding here or sending me a personal email. Let me know how many children and what ages, and whether or not you think they would be interested in learning a square dance. I will pass this information on to Gary.

      Carolyn Steninger