1439What are your kids up to?

  • nevadafiddler
    Mar 3, 2014
      Hey folks,
      I always dreamed of this group being a place of support for homeschoolers, yet we never seem to have any conversations going. Perhaps it is because we are such a diverse group, or maybe there's another reason. Whatever it is, I thought I would try to stir things up a little by asking a question; what are your kiddos up to? What do they love doing? What are their current passions?

      I'll start.
      My 18 yo is passionate about historical costuming! As we are autodidacts (self-directed learners) she is free to spend all her time pursuing this. Through netflix, pintrest, youtube and other internet connections, she knows more history than I ever learned, and can tell at a glance whether  a movie is using period correct costumes. She's done sewing workshops at the California Trail Center and made her own Victorian garb to wear at the Trail Days. Her short-term goal is to do an internship in the costume department at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival this fall. She sews like you wouldn't believe, and I love being able to support her in her endeavors.

      My 15 yo daughter loves animals, especially horses. She's thinking she'd like to get into the veterinary field someday. Right now she is a member of pony club and is teaching her horse dressage with the help of a local trainer and an Olympic dressage rider who comes to town once a month to do clinics. Pony club is always looking for new members and in some cases, can even help kids find a horse to use.

      So...what are your kiddos up to?

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic