25Off-road ride along Hudson River & Trans-Hudson Loop Ride upcoming

  • ssbaker305
    May 14, 2014
      Tony's question about taking the Henry Hudson Drive into Palisades Interstate Park at the last meeting prompted me to visit this particularly scenic route again.  Think of it as a combination reconnaissance and pre-pre-ride scouting trip.

      The south side bike path across the GW bridge was closed that Monday, but the workman told me that was only for a couple of days.  I do not recommend the north path and its multi-flight staircases!!!  But the upside is I got some decent pictures of this route/beach locale (see attached).

      Tony's question about taking the Henry Hudson Drive into Palisades Interstate Park at the last meeting prompted me to visit this particularly scenic route again.  Think of it as a combination reconnaissance and pre-pre-ride scouting trip.

      The south side bike path across the GW bridge was closed that Monday, but the workman told me that was only for a couple of days.  I do not recommend the north path and its multi-flight staircases!!!  But the upside is I got some decent pictures of this route/beach locale (see attached).

      The ride down to the waterfront just north of the GW bridge is indeed a very nice ride, but I worry about people being able to ride back up that long hill again afterwards, plus, of course, it is basically out of the way going north of where we have to go.

      There is technically an alternate route, along the river, but after the parking lot which ends just south of the GW bridge, it turns into a hard-packed dirt trail, suitable only for X-trainer bikes like mine, and even then only for skilled riders.  Worse, at the end there's two flights of stairs to carry your bike up before hitting the cul-de-sac neighborhood, where you can gradually pedal back to River Road and continue on the normal way.   So...unless you want to split the group in two, it's probably not advisable.  I am willing to show the other leaders the way if you're feeling adventurous in September for our pre-ride! *:D big grin

      As for the regular route down the NJ coast/River Road, there isn't much new at the beginning, though it really does look like the Sandy-destroyed section at the Whole Foods Market will be replaced by the time we need it.  They were hard at work rebuilding it form scratch when I was there and looked like they had laid the infrastructure for it, so one less detour back to River Road then.

      There's other construction along the way, but whether new Hudson River Walk paths will be done by October is questionable.  There IS a new half mile or so section going into Hoboken which is quite nice, however.  In general, the earlier section near the GW bridge is more choppy and uncertain than the later sections.  Someday this will be fully complete, but not this year.

[...]

      I'll add the pics to the pictures section for everyone to see.

      As for the regular route there isn't much new at the beginning, though it really does look like the Sandy-destroyed section at the Whole Foods Market will be replaced by the time we need it.  They were hard at work rebuilding it form scratch when I was there and looked like they had laid the infrastructure for it, so one less detour back to River Road then.