19Fw: Help Us Close a Critical Gap - Susquehanna River Crossing

  • Scott Baker
    Feb 11 3:30 PM

      FYI -
      On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:05 PM, East Coast Greenway Alliance <info@...> wrote:
      Facebook iconTwitter iconForward icon
      Help Us Close a Critical Gap!
      Show your support for safe access across the Susquehanna River!
      Dear East Coast Greenway Friends,
      We generally just email you once a month, but this is an important and time-sensitive issue we want to share with you.  We need your help to close one of the most critical gaps in our system:  the Susquehanna River crossing in Maryland.
      Before it flows into the Chesapeake Bay, the Susquehanna River is ¾ of a mile wide.  There are two car bridges and two rail bridges at this location, yet none of them currently allow cyclists or pedestrians to cross.  You can help change this by signing our petition!
      Looking north (upstream) at the four current spans near the mouth of the river, from near to far: Amtrak, US Route 40, freight rail, I-95.  Photo credit: Ben Longstaff, IAN, UMCES
      A new bridge is being designed to carry Amtrak trains over the river between Havre de Grace and Perryville, Maryland.   This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to create a safe crossing for pedestrians and bicyclists - IF it is included as part of the project.
      Make your voice heard: sign the petition to show your support for including pedestrian and bicyclist access in the design of the new Susquehanna bridge.  So far almost 5,000 people have signed on - we need everyone's support to show how important this is to the ECG community!  (Share with your friends.)
      We are working to generate support for this project at the federal, state, and local levels.  Read more about this important issue here on our blog, and contact our Mid-Atlantic Coordinator, Andy Hamilton, for more ways to get involved at andy@....
      Can you help by donating to support our work on this important project?
      Thank you!  Together we can close this gap in the ECG!
      East Coast Greenway Alliance
      www.greenway.org
      East Coast Greenway Alliance
      5315 Highgate Drive, Ste 105