Columbus Day Parade – Next Saturday!

  • Robert Henry
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2011
      Dear Brother Sir Knights:

      In one week – October 8 – will be our featured patriotic event for this Fraternal Year: the 30th Annual Columbus Day parade in Sterling, hosted by Good Samaritan Council #6175 and the Loudoun Elks.

      I have set a goal of 30 Sir Knights marching together for the 30th annual parade; I know we can provide those numbers! We 4th Degree Knights must be willing to stand up and show our support for our Church and our country. On Columbus Day we celebrate not simply the discovery of the New World, but the arrival of our Faith on the continent that would eventually give rise to our beloved country. This holiday celebrates the heritage of both our Faith and our country, an intersection of Church and country that is a celebration tailor-made for us Sir Knights!

      To encourage maximal participation, the District Master has given permission for Sir Knights to march in full service regalia (chapeau, cape, sword, etc.), social regalia (tux and baldric), if service regalia is not owned and cannot be borrowed, or in “plainclothes.”

      We will muster at the “Barn” (401 W. Holly Ave., Sterling) at 8:30 a.m. At 9:00 a.m., we will begin shuttling Sir Knights to the parade start at Park View High School (400 W. Laurel Ave., Sterling) for our final muster at 9:30 a.m., where will organize ourselves into appropriate units, marching behind Assembly banners as appropriate. The parade will kick off at 10:00 a.m.

      The parade will, as in years past, leave Park View High School and take Laurel Ave. to Sterling Blvd. We will proceed south on Sterling Blvd. to Holly Ave. and then proceed west on Holly Ave. to the “Barn” – a total distance of about 1.5 miles.

      For Sir Knights who are unable to walk the parade route, I am happy to report that our Faithful Captain, Jay McCarthy, PGK, FDD, has procured an open-top car. Spaces will be limited, so please contact me soon if you wish to take advantage.

      Thank you for reading this somewhat dry e-mail, but these details did need to be reported. I look forward to seeing you at next Saturday’s Columbus Day parade!

      Vivat Jesus!

      Fraternally,
      Rob

      Robert Henry

      Faithful Navigator
      Elizabeth Bayley Seton Assembly #1781
      "For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control." - 2 Tim 1:7

      Treasurer
      Good Samaritan Council #6175
    • Valentine Pescatore