1343Happy 224th Birthday, U.S. Coast Guard

  • Joe Belzile
    Aug 4, 2014
      Worthy Faithful Navigator and my Brother Sir Knights:

      The Fourth Degree of Columbianism is "Patriotism".  Today we honor this by taking time to salute a very specific set of Patriots, The U.S. Coast Guard, on the occassion of their 224th Birthday.  On August 4, 1790, President George Washington signed an act which established "10 cutters for the protection of the Revenue" and thusly created the U.S. Coast Guard.   Since that time, the U.S. Coast Guard has stood with distinction as one of the U.S. Armed Forces along with the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force.

      They adopted "Semper Paratus" or "Always Ready" as their Official Motto.  They stand to this motto every day as they carry out 11 missions as both a military force and a law enforcement agency.   They perform their missions with force smaller than the NYPD, but which stll ranks as the 11th largest Navy in the world by Number of vessels and the 7th largest Naval Air Force by number of airframes.

      When we hear the Armed Forces Medley, the part that is played for the Coast Guard is actually just the chorus of the Official Coast Guard Marching song.   Here are the words of the chorus from the Coast Guard website:

      We're always ready for the call,
      We place our trust in Thee.
      Through surf and storm and howling gale,
      High shall our purpose be.
      "Semper Paratus" is our guide,
      Our fame, our glory too.
      To fight to save or fight and die,
      Aye! Coast Guard we are for you!

      Our Assembly salutes all our members past and present who have served the U.S. Coast Guard.   This year, we remember especially our departed Brother, SK Dr. James T. Bradley, PFN who we lost very recently and who was a proud Coast Guardsman and Command Master Chief.  Jim also served in the Navy, but today we honor him as a member of the Coast Guard.

      Semper Paratus and Happy Birthday U.S. Coast Guard.

      Joseph D. Belzile, Jr., PGK PFN
      Seton Assembly