115150th Anniversary Event - Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception

  • George Costigan
    Aug 15, 2013

      Brother Sir Knights,

      As our Worthy Master reminded us at our Installation Dinner on Tuesday, we of the Fourth Degree here in Virginia have an opportunity to support a wonderful event in our area, and one with special significance to our Order.

      While many of you have been to the Basilica on your own, or as part of other Fourth Degree events, some of you may not be aware of the history of the Bell Tower, which our Brother Sir Knights before us funded, and we help maintain.

      If you can help out as part of the Honor Guard, please sign up, following the instructions below.  If you need the use of our loaner regalia, please contact our Color Corps Commander quickly.

      If you are unable to help with the Honor Guard, we still need to fill the pews, so consider attending with your families.

      If you are unable to do either, I ask that you please keep your Brother Sir Knights in your prayers on the 8th.

      Thank You In Advance – The Worthy Master’s request follows:

      All of you have been made aware of the chance of a lifetime to participate in an Order-wide Event to be presided over by the Supreme Knight at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington.  Supreme is seeking 1000 Sir Knights in Regalia for this Event on September 8.  It is an Order-wide Year of Faith Pilgrimage to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the dedication of the Knight’s bell tower and carillon.  I have committed the Virginia District to provide at least 350 Honor Guards.  I know we can do it!  Because Virginia is the Best District!

      To ensure success of this event, the Supreme Council has established an automated on-line registration system for all Honor Guard participants.  This will ensure one comprehensive list for the entire Order relieving individual District Masters and District Marshals from collecting the data, transcribing it, and then submitting the lists to Vice Supreme Masters.

      All Honor Guard to participants are asked to register on-line using the following link:

      This link will take you to a short press release on the event.  At both the top and bottom of the page, there is a place where Fourth Degree members can click and fill out a form that takes about a minute to complete.

      This on-line registration form will only work if all of you Faithful Navigators and Commanders get the word out to all your Assembly Members.  FNs are also strongly encouraged to post the information in your newsletters and websites as well as announcing this opportunity at your Assembly meetings.

      There is no such thing as too much getting the word out:  the Pilgrimage is only three weeks away and many of these weeks are vacation weeks for many of us.  Please get and email out to your membership as soon as possible and copy me.  This way, I know you received this message.  Let's all work together to make this a success.  I will get periodic status reports as to how the registration is going and I will pass the information on to you.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.  See the special notes below:

      Special Notes:

      The event begins at 12 noon and is expected to conclude by 3pm.  Please arrange to carpool with brother Knights if at all possible.  Spouses and family members are also encouraged to attend.

      Honor Guard members are asked to report no later than 10am, exact location to be determined.

      Regalia (as defined in the Color Corps Drill Manual): black tuxedo with chapeau, cape, gloves, service baldric, PG-113 pin, and mini jewels.  No swords.  The PG-113 pin is the official pin of the Fourth Degree, it is the one provided to each Sir Knight at the Exemplification.  The combined National Pin will not repeat, not be used at this event.

      Cy Alba

      District Master

      Vivat Jesus,

      George J. Costigan, Jr., PGK, FN