TCC Commuter Safety

  • (no author)
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2007
      Thank you for your concern.

      In fact, as far as we can tell, most commuters and the professionals involved do not consider your issue a major concern.

      You are welcome to come to our next meeting in August and discuss this with the Parking Utility, but it is quite likely that by then this issue will be history.

      In any case, we were simply saying that it is not likely that we could practically address this issue in the next few weeks anyhow and make enough of a change to make a difference. Other than asking NJ Transit to also stop at the new stop, what other ideas do you have address this issue? Or is this the best solution to this problem in your view?

      Commuter Parking Advisory Committee

      ------------

      That is a GREAT solution, perhaps in "4 weeks" time a dangerous
      situation MIGHT be eliminated. So in the remaining 4 weeks time or
      perhaps never don't address the danger, just let it continue.
      AMAZING!!! This is just another clear example of the inequality
      between the commuters at Tower Center and those at the TCC. A problem
      arises at the Towers and it gets addressed whereas a problem at the
      TCC gets, "perhaps it will go away".

      BTW, since my complaint has been posted to a public listserv and the
      committee, the "Commuter Parking Advisory Committee" which is
      recognized by the township of East Brunswick has responded, the
      township of EB and the Parking Utility can consider itself notifed
      of an existing dangerous situation.

      --- In EBCommuter@yahoogroups.com, aUser wrote:

      > Thank you for your comments below.
      >
      > In just 4 weeks we expect that the TCC daily commuters will be gone
      so it is quite possible at that time the need for this second stop at
      TCC may no longer exist and it might be eliminated.

      > Commuter Parking Advisory Committee
      >
      > -----------
      >
      > There has been a lot of recent discussion about commuter safety at
      > Tower Center with regard to the drop off area and the fence. I would
      > once again like to bring up a very serious condition at the TCC and
      > hopefully this time around something can be done.
      >
      > When the East Brunswick Parking Utility and/or Suburban implemented
      > the "new" bus stop (at the top of the Old Bridge Tpk entrance ramp)
      > at the TCC on return trips from NYC to accommodate daily hill
      parkers
      > they created a very dangerous situation which I will outline.
      >
      > When inbound Suburban buses stop on the hill to let commuters off,
      > most car traffic entering the TCC do not stop behind the bus and
      > wait, but just go around the bus which places commuters crossing at
      > great risk. The "worst offenders" and most dangerous are the NJ
      > Transit buses entering the TCC lot. NJ Transit buses enter the lot
      at
      > full speed, do not stop or even slow down. They just go fly right
      > around Suburban's buses that are letting off passengers. The NJ
      > Transit buses are doing at least 35 mph or more when entering the
      TCC
      > from Old Bridge Tpk.
      >
      > Let's not bicker about how commuters should not be crossing here or
      > the stop is only meant for commuters parked on the hill and not
      > permit parking. Instead, let's look at the reality. When the bus
      > stops at this first stop, commuters that are parked at the outskirts
      > of the permit lot will cross here. As long as the bus stops, they
      > will and should be entitled to cross safely. East Brunswick has a
      > very real danger on its hands and should stop the NJ Transit buses
      > and other vehicles that enter the TCC for Sam's Club or other stores
      > from not stopping behind an unloading Suburban bus.
    • (no author)
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2007
        The crosstown bus is your best bet. You will need to apply for a monthly permit, but until your get it (there is a wait list) you will have to park in the daily parking areas of the Transportation Center of Neilson Plaza. Please note the changes that are expected to occur when the TCC construction begins.

        Commuter Parking Advisory Committee

        --------

        I live in East Brunswick and will be starting a job in an office that
        is next to Grand Central. Any advice on the best way to commute?