***COMMUNICATOR UPDATE: October 2003***

  • ckoeppel1
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2003
      COMMUNICATOR UPDATE: October 2003

      Welcome to The Dirksen Congressional Center's "Communicator" - a web-
      based e-newsletter providing educators with news and ideas to enhance
      civic education and improve the understanding of Congress --
      http://www.webcommunicator.org

      NEWS FROM THE DIRKSEN CENTER

      <<< Dirksen Center Grand Opening >>>

      On September 26-28, 2003, more than 600 people attended Grand Opening
      events as The Dirksen Center officially opened the doors to its new
      facility. Invited guests heard remarks from Dirksen Center Board
      President Doug Crew, former House Republican Leader Robert H. Michel,
      and current 18th district Congressman Ray LaHood who announced his
      decision to donate his papers to The Center's $1.6 million facility.

      The new Dirksen Center facility is located on the east side of Pekin,
      Illinois, at 2815 Broadway. For information and photos of The Center,
      visit: http://www.dirksencenter.org/dcbuildingprojectfinished.htm

      <<< Growing Online Subscriptions >>>

      Today we have more than 12,000 subscribers who receive our monthly e-
      newsletter, "Communicator." The Center uses the "Communicator" to
      deliver content to educators, to alert them to features of our Web
      suite, and to test ideas for future programs.

      Thanks to everyone for your interest!

      <<< Perspective on Civil Liberties >>>

      The terms "civil liberties" and "civil rights" are often confused and
      used interchangeably, although their definitions differ. Link to our
      CongressLink glossary to find an easy way to distinguish civil
      liberties from civil rights and help your students understand the
      terms. Find "Civil Liberties" at:
      http://www.congresslink.org/glossary.html#C

      Our present understanding of civil liberties has developed over time.
      Our AboutGovernment monthly hot link offers extensive information on
      a number of issues related to civil liberties and individual rights.
      Find "American Civil Liberties Union" at:
      http://www.aboutgovernment.org/citizenship.htm

      Civil liberty protections to individuals in the states were extended
      through the Fourteenth Amendment (1868). Introduce our CongressLink
      lesson plan, "Teaching the Amendments," to help students gain a sense
      of their rights as United States citizens, as well as the reality
      that many rights are limited and controversial. This lesson can be
      found at: http://www.congresslink.org/lessonplans/amends.html

      "Amending the Constitution" is another CongressLink lesson plan that
      goes beyond the well-studied amendments contained in the Bill of
      Rights and offers students insight into the changes the Constitution
      has undergone. Find this lesson at:
      http://www.congresslink.org/lessonplans/amending.html

      Although the Bill of Rights and the due process clause of the
      Fourteenth Amendment guarantee every citizen certain freedoms and
      rights, does the Fourteenth Amendment "incorporate" the protections
      of the Bill of Rights and make them enforceable against the states?
      Help your students learn more about the Fourteenth Amendment and the
      incorporation debate by visiting AboutGovernment. Find "The
      Incorporation Debate" at:
      http://www.aboutgovernment.org/historicaldocuments.htm#billofrights

      During the processing of former House Republican Leader Robert H.
      Michel's papers, staff discovered several copies of a compilation of
      quotes from Mr. Michel. On October 22, 1986, during a speech before
      Illinois students, the Congressman warned, "Don't take this freedom
      you have for granted. It has to be fought for and worked for on a
      daily basis." Find this quote and others included in the Michel
      collection at: http://www.dirksencenter.org/rhmquotes.htm

      <<< Featured Grant-funded Project >>>

      This month we aren't featuring a single grant-funded project. Instead
      we are extending an invitation to you to participate in one of our
      grants programs -- the Robert H. Michel Civic Education grants
      program. If you'd like to develop lesson plans or student activities
      about the Constitution, or amendments, or even ideas for new
      amendments, then consider applying for a grant. Find information
      about the Robert H. Michel Civic Education Grants, including a sample
      grant proposal and a list of previously awarded grants at:
      http://www.dirksencenter.org/grantmichelciviced.htm

      *NEW* Take the fast, fun, and informative quiz, "How Free Are We?"
      found on Congress for Kids:
      http://www.congressforkids.net/games/billofrights/2_billofrights.htm

      ** Freedom or Fortune? **

      Which constitutional amendment grants Americans a "right to privacy"?

      A) First Amendment
      B) Fourth Amendment
      C) Fifth Amendment
      D) Sixth Amendment
      E) No amendment; it's not listed in the Constitution

      A minority of justices has wanted to apply the first eight
      constitutional amendments to the states through the due process
      clause, a position called total _____.

      Answers to the September issue of "Fun, Facts, and Trivia" link here:
      http://www.webcommunicator.org/funfactstrivia0903ans.htm

      Happy Halloween! Encourage your colleagues to subscribe to the
      Communicator. If you have questions, comments, or suggestions,
      contact Cindy Koeppel at mailto:ckoeppel@... Your
      feedback makes a difference!

      TO SUBSCRIBE to the Communicator, please follow these instructions:
      Send an e-mail to mailto:ckoeppel@... with the phrase -
      "subscribe Communicator" - in the body of the message. Your e-mail
      address will be added to our mailing list.

      TO UNSUBSCRIBE from the Communicator, please follow these
      instructions: Send an e-mail to mailto:ckoeppel@...
      with the phrase -"unsubscribe Communicator" -- in the body of the
      message. Your e-mail address will be deleted from our mailing list.

      If you experience any problem, send an e-mail to Cindy Koeppel at
      mailto:ckoeppel@...