New Lesson Plan: Experiencing Change

  • Cindy Koeppel
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2008
      * NEW LESSON PLAN * EXPERIENCING CHANGE

      During our annual Congress in the Classroom® workshop -- http://www.dirksencenter.org/print_programs_CongressClassroom.htm -- participants are asked to introduce the lesson plans, resources, and techniques that have proven successful in teaching about Congress in their classrooms. A 2006 participant, Marcie Adam McBride, Saint Michael High School, Baton Rouge, LA, presented a lesson entitled, "Experiencing Change."

      After successful completion of this lesson, students will be able to understand civil service reform under President Rutherford B. Hayes. They will be able to explain why President James Garfield was assassinated and to describe how President Chester Arthur ended the spoils system. Students will be able to recall the main points concerning the presidential election of 1884 and describe Coxey's "army" marching on Washington in 1894.

      Find "Experiencing Change" at: http://www.congresslink.org/print_lp_experiencechange.htm