Re: HELP on entry 1

  • Greg Corder
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2005
      this is very helpful and I will share it w/ other teachers in my
      bldg......I have been est as de facto leader on this NBC venture......

      I am sure I will have add'l questions

      thanks,

      greg

      --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "Peggy Brody" <PegBrody@a...> wrote:
      > 1. Waves would be considered a unit. A unit, in my opinion, is a
      group of
      > related concepts taught together or in a certain sequence. If you
      use waves
      > as your overall concept, your unit then may consist of light,
      sound,
      > earthquake, and even parts of the human body such as eyes and ears.
      > Scientific Method would be considered a unit since you are
      teaching each
      > component such as independent variable and hypothesis and such.
      >
      > 2. Technology can be any software program. My students used Graph
      Masters
      > and Internet research for cells. I was careful to include the
      specific
      > websites and why I thought it would enhance learning.
      >
      > 3. Assessments are written tests, observations, checklists,
      rubrics, Venn
      > diagrams, paragraphs of what was learned for that day, etc. FYI,
      NBC

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
        You also need to check with your state department to see if there are
        candidate meetings offered for those working on their certification.
        Most states have helpful group sessions on how to address answers to
        the types of quetions that you asked below. They also provide
        networking so that there is continual contact. Nothing wrong with
        asking your questions here at all but you might be able to see actual
        examples of portfolios and listen in on the experiences of other past
        candidates that have certified.

        The ScienceTeacher NBCT 2004

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
          You also need to check with your state department to see if there are
          candidate meetings offered for those working on their certification.
          Most states have helpful group sessions on how to address answers to
          the types of quetions that you asked below. They also provide
          networking so that there is continual contact. Nothing wrong with
          asking your questions here at all but you might be able to see actual
          examples of portfolios and listen in on the experiences of other past
          candidates that have certified.

          The ScienceTeacher NBCT 2004

          --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Corder" <cordergw@y...> wrote:

          > I just joined this group yesterday.
          >
          > I and about 6 other teachers in my are planning to do NBC next
          school
          > year. we are examining our content to select good lessons and
          > units. We are struggling with portfolio entry 1. Basically, I
          have
          > a few questions:
          >
          > 1. what is considered a "unit"? Would "waves and sound" be a
          unit?
          > would "scienctific investigation" (which we do at the beginning of
          > the year) be a unit? What unit did you use?
          >
          > 2. what is considered "technology" for the lesson that should
          > include technology? Would Excel count? Would applets/physlets
          > count? What did you use?
          >
          > 3. What are considered "assessments"? Written tests? Reflection
          > questions? What did you use?
          >
          > 4. How do you document informal assessments such as indivudual
          > discussions or performance based assessments that don't lead to a
          > physical product?
          >

          > any help would be greatly appriciated!
          >
          > greg
        • Greg Corder
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2005
            thanks.....I investigate that

            --- thescienceteacher <eden908@...> wrote:

            > You also need to check with your state department to
            > see if there are
            > candidate meetings offered for those working on
            > their certification.
            > Most states have helpful group sessions on how to
            > address answers to
            > the types of quetions that you asked below. They
            > also provide
            > networking so that there is continual contact.
            > Nothing wrong with
            > asking your questions here at all but you might be
            > able to see actual
            > examples of portfolios and listen in on the
            > experiences of other past
            > candidates that have certified.
            >
            > The ScienceTeacher NBCT 2004
            >
            > --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Corder"
            > <cordergw@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I just joined this group yesterday.
            > >
            > > I and about 6 other teachers in my are planning to
            > do NBC next
            > school
            > > year. we are examining our content to select good
            > lessons and
            > > units. We are struggling with portfolio entry 1.
            > Basically, I
            > have
            > > a few questions:
            > >
            > > 1. what is considered a "unit"? Would "waves and
            > sound" be a
            > unit?
            > > would "scienctific investigation" (which we do at
            > the beginning of
            > > the year) be a unit? What unit did you use?
            > >
            > > 2. what is considered "technology" for the lesson
            > that should
            > > include technology? Would Excel count? Would
            > applets/physlets
            > > count? What did you use?
            > >
            > > 3. What are considered "assessments"? Written
            > tests? Reflection
            > > questions? What did you use?
            > >
            > > 4. How do you document informal assessments such
            > as indivudual
            > > discussions or performance based assessments that
            > don't lead to a
            > > physical product?
            > >

            > > any help would be greatly appriciated!
            > >
            > > greg