Re: [EASCI] Entry 2 & 3 Question

  • Peter Petrossian
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 26, 2005
      My impression is that you do not need to do a transcript at all. Just answer the questions referring back to the video and quote from there.

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 26, 2005
        Stephanie,
        I scored high on entry 3. A true transcript is not needed. What I did was
        play the video and create a transcript for myself. This took many playings
        of the video. Then I was able to use "my" transcript to insert any
        conversations I had that showed compelling evidence when I needed to prove a
        situation or question arose.After inserting the conversation in quotes or
        telling about it, I reflected on what the student was asking or saying and
        evaluated his learning process.Your goal, in my opinion, is to identify and
        misconceptions and respond to them and evaluate their learning processes.
        The assessors will see the video, your writings will just refresh their
        memory when needed. The assessors do go back and check if something was
        said or not said, so be careful to be accurate.
        I hope this helps.
        Peggy
        > I need to ask this question of a few of you. I have had two mentors
        > give me conflicting advice on the video analysis portion of these 2
        > entries. (Madge & Don, I hope you don't mind my asking here).
        >
        > I typed up my orignal entries by answering the questions in the
        > portfolio directions and then elaborating on those answers.
        >
        > One mentor told me that I actually needed to give a blow by blow
        > transcript of everything that was actually said in the video and by
        > who. However, when re-checking, I cannot find those directions
        > anywhere in the instructions...but what do I know? Perhaps it's just
        > implied. So I began typing up a transcript for both entries. Only
        > problem is it is quickly adding up to a page count that is way too
        > high.
        >
        > Another mentor just told me I didn't need to do a transcript at all.
        > *sigh* Now I am really confused and I don't want to do the wrong
        > thing.
        >
        > Help?
        > Stephanie in FL
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jennifer Lynch
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 26, 2005
          I have always heard that it is very important to
          answer the questions. The assessor should be able to
          hear what you say and most of what your students say
          on the videotape. Jennifer
          --- mrsstipko <stipko@...> wrote:

          > I need to ask this question of a few of you. I have
          > had two mentors
          > give me conflicting advice on the video analysis
          > portion of these 2
          > entries. (Madge & Don, I hope you don't mind my
          > asking here).
          >
          > I typed up my orignal entries by answering the
          > questions in the
          > portfolio directions and then elaborating on those
          > answers.
          >
          > One mentor told me that I actually needed to give a
          > blow by blow
          > transcript of everything that was actually said in
          > the video and by
          > who. However, when re-checking, I cannot find those
          > directions
          > anywhere in the instructions...but what do I know?
          > Perhaps it's just
          > implied. So I began typing up a transcript for both
          > entries. Only
          > problem is it is quickly adding up to a page count
          > that is way too
          > high.
          >
          > Another mentor just told me I didn't need to do a
          > transcript at all.
          > *sigh* Now I am really confused and I don't want to
          > do the wrong
          > thing.
          >
          > Help?
          > Stephanie in FL

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
        • Don Deresz
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 26, 2005
            Greetings,  Candidate Stephanie.

            I re-read your post cited below...and as I recall, I did not state that "I didn't need to do a transcript at all."  What I stated was to simply "follow the NBCT Porfolio Instructions."  That's good advice!

            Best Regards,
            Don Deresz
            NBCT

          • stipko@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 26, 2005
              I am sorry if I am jumping to conclusions. As we all know, it is sometimes difficult to decipher exact meaning when reading emails. After reading your emails, Don and after hearing from my other mentor, I think I have a clearer idea of what I need to do for these entries. I appreciate all the feedback and advice.

              Take care,
              Stephanie

              > From: "Don Deresz" <deresz_d@...>
              > Date: 2005/02/26 Sat PM 08:43:02 EST
              > To: <EASCI@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: Re: [EASCI] Entry 2 & 3 Question
              >
              > Stephanie,
              >
              > Perhaps what your other "reader" meant was that if you create a transcipt of your video, this additional document or resourcre may help you to write a "better" Commentary to submit. However, my goal as a "mentor:" I am evaluating your teaching in a manner to guide you to improve student learning.
              >
              > Best,
              > Don Deresz

            • Don Deresz