Re: Entry 3: help!

  • eliotmom2
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 13, 2005
      Couldn't you reflect about additional strategies you are trying to
      influence the students to interact more with each other? In your
      instructional content describe your students resistance to
      participation either due to personality or lack of prior knowledge or
      apathy. Try finding strategies to solve these problems and discuss
      them in your reflection for a way to solve these problems with this
      group of students. Now I don't know if this will fix your problem but
      it is what I would try doing.

      Jeanne
      --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "nctexas2002" <jannweaver@a...> wrote:

      > I videotaped a lesson for entry 3, but I am worried about 2 things.
      > First of all you can't hear the kids all the time. I make a point to
      > repeat everything they say. Will that work? Also, there is plenty
      > of me interacting with the students, but little of the students
      > interacting with each other on the video. They are analyzing each
      > other's data as it is put up on the overhead and a few ask questions
      > to the group members. Sometimes they answer, sometimes they don't.
      > Those two things worry me. What is ya's opinion? This is my third
      > time around and really want to do right, but don't really want to
      > film it again if I don't have to. I don't really have the most
      > cooperative students around. Please help!!!!!!!
      >
      > Joe Le
    • nctexas2002
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 13, 2005
        I could do that pretty easy. What about the fact that you can't
        always hear what they are saying, but I repeat it. Do you think that
        would work? The video equipment and microphones at my school suck.
        Thanks!

        --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "eliotmom2" <eliotmom2@y...> wrote:

        > Couldn't you reflect about additional strategies you are trying to
        > influence the students to interact more with each other? In your
        > instructional content describe your students resistance to
        > participation either due to personality or lack of prior knowledge
        or
        > apathy. Try finding strategies to solve these problems and discuss
        > them in your reflection for a way to solve these problems with this
        > group of students. Now I don't know if this will fix your problem
        but
        > it is what I would try doing.
        >
        > Jeanne
        > --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "nctexas2002" <jannweaver@a...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I videotaped a lesson for entry 3, but I am worried about 2
        things.
        > > First of all you can't hear the kids all the time. I make a
        point to
        > > repeat everything they say. Will that work? Also, there is
        plenty
        > > of me interacting with the students, but little of the students
        > > interacting with each other on the video. They are analyzing
        each
        > > other's data as it is put up on the overhead and a few ask
        questions
        > > to the group members. Sometimes they answer, sometimes they
        don't.
        > > Those two things worry me. What is ya's opinion? This is my
        third
        > > time around and really want to do right, but don't really want to
        > > film it again if I don't have to. I don't really have the most
        > > cooperative students around. Please help!!!!!!!
        > >
        > > Joe Le
      • Jeanne Elliott
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 14, 2005
          I think you might have to make that judgement call.
          Can you hear most of what the students say? Can you
          tell the students have spoken and you are repeating
          what they say? On my entry 2 video, I do the same
          thing but you can hear the majority of what my
          students say. I have a habit of repeating what most
          of the students say for the benefit of the whole class
          hearing. I did feel that anyone could hear most of
          what they students say in the video and all of what I
          say and that is in the directions.
          Good luck,
          Jeanne

          http://my.yahoo.com
        • suesippel@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 14, 2005
            ok... here is my question.... was your video for entry 3 a whole 20 min long??  my best one is a little more than 15.... i restaged thos one with my 6th graders and got one that was 23 min, but it is not as good as the first one.... discussing and analyzing data for 20 min is a hard thing for my studnets to do... is using my 15 min video ok??

            thanks for the advice!

            Sue
          • jannweaver@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 14, 2005
              I would go with the shorter one if it is the better one.  I was told you would rather have less than 20 good minutes than 20 not so good minutes.  Good luck!