Re: [EASCI] Entry 3: help!

  • Jennifer Lynch
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 12, 2005
      Can you hear what they are saying when you are
      listening with head phones? That is how assessors
      listen. I would be concerned if students are not
      really engaged with each other and you. I would try
      again just to be sure.

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • jannweaver@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 12, 2005
        So you don't think me repeating what they are saying will work.  The students are engaged with me, but not so much with each other.  Thanks!

        Joe Le
      • eliotmom2
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 13, 2005
          Couldn't you reflect about additional strategies you are trying to
          influence the students to interact more with each other? In your
          instructional content describe your students resistance to
          participation either due to personality or lack of prior knowledge or
          apathy. Try finding strategies to solve these problems and discuss
          them in your reflection for a way to solve these problems with this
          group of students. Now I don't know if this will fix your problem but
          it is what I would try doing.

          Jeanne
          --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "nctexas2002" <jannweaver@a...> wrote:

          > I videotaped a lesson for entry 3, but I am worried about 2 things.
          > First of all you can't hear the kids all the time. I make a point to
          > repeat everything they say. Will that work? Also, there is plenty
          > of me interacting with the students, but little of the students
          > interacting with each other on the video. They are analyzing each
          > other's data as it is put up on the overhead and a few ask questions
          > to the group members. Sometimes they answer, sometimes they don't.
          > Those two things worry me. What is ya's opinion? This is my third
          > time around and really want to do right, but don't really want to
          > film it again if I don't have to. I don't really have the most
          > cooperative students around. Please help!!!!!!!
          >
          > Joe Le
        • nctexas2002
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 13, 2005
            I could do that pretty easy. What about the fact that you can't
            always hear what they are saying, but I repeat it. Do you think that
            would work? The video equipment and microphones at my school suck.
            Thanks!

            --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "eliotmom2" <eliotmom2@y...> wrote:

            > Couldn't you reflect about additional strategies you are trying to
            > influence the students to interact more with each other? In your
            > instructional content describe your students resistance to
            > participation either due to personality or lack of prior knowledge
            or
            > apathy. Try finding strategies to solve these problems and discuss
            > them in your reflection for a way to solve these problems with this
            > group of students. Now I don't know if this will fix your problem
            but
            > it is what I would try doing.
            >
            > Jeanne
            > --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "nctexas2002" <jannweaver@a...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I videotaped a lesson for entry 3, but I am worried about 2
            things.
            > > First of all you can't hear the kids all the time. I make a
            point to
            > > repeat everything they say. Will that work? Also, there is
            plenty
            > > of me interacting with the students, but little of the students
            > > interacting with each other on the video. They are analyzing
            each
            > > other's data as it is put up on the overhead and a few ask
            questions
            > > to the group members. Sometimes they answer, sometimes they
            don't.
            > > Those two things worry me. What is ya's opinion? This is my
            third
            > > time around and really want to do right, but don't really want to
            > > film it again if I don't have to. I don't really have the most
            > > cooperative students around. Please help!!!!!!!
            > >
            > > Joe Le
          • Jeanne Elliott
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 14, 2005
              I think you might have to make that judgement call.
              Can you hear most of what the students say? Can you
              tell the students have spoken and you are repeating
              what they say? On my entry 2 video, I do the same
              thing but you can hear the majority of what my
              students say. I have a habit of repeating what most
              of the students say for the benefit of the whole class
              hearing. I did feel that anyone could hear most of
              what they students say in the video and all of what I
              say and that is in the directions.
              Good luck,
              Jeanne

              http://my.yahoo.com
            • suesippel@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 14, 2005
                ok... here is my question.... was your video for entry 3 a whole 20 min long??  my best one is a little more than 15.... i restaged thos one with my 6th graders and got one that was 23 min, but it is not as good as the first one.... discussing and analyzing data for 20 min is a hard thing for my studnets to do... is using my 15 min video ok??

                thanks for the advice!

                Sue
              • jannweaver@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 14, 2005
                  I would go with the shorter one if it is the better one.  I was told you would rather have less than 20 good minutes than 20 not so good minutes.  Good luck!