Entry 3: help!

  • nctexas2002
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 12, 2005
      I videotaped a lesson for entry 3, but I am worried about 2 things.
      First of all you can't hear the kids all the time. I make a point to
      repeat everything they say. Will that work? Also, there is plenty
      of me interacting with the students, but little of the students
      interacting with each other on the video. They are analyzing each
      other's data as it is put up on the overhead and a few ask questions
      to the group members. Sometimes they answer, sometimes they don't.
      Those two things worry me. What is ya's opinion? This is my third
      time around and really want to do right, but don't really want to
      film it again if I don't have to. I don't really have the most
      cooperative students around. Please help!!!!!!!

      Joe Le
    • Jennifer Lynch
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 12, 2005
        Can you hear what they are saying when you are
        listening with head phones? That is how assessors
        listen. I would be concerned if students are not
        really engaged with each other and you. I would try
        again just to be sure.

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      • jannweaver@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 12, 2005
          So you don't think me repeating what they are saying will work.  The students are engaged with me, but not so much with each other.  Thanks!

          Joe Le
        • eliotmom2
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 13, 2005
            Couldn't you reflect about additional strategies you are trying to
            influence the students to interact more with each other? In your
            instructional content describe your students resistance to
            participation either due to personality or lack of prior knowledge or
            apathy. Try finding strategies to solve these problems and discuss
            them in your reflection for a way to solve these problems with this
            group of students. Now I don't know if this will fix your problem but
            it is what I would try doing.

            Jeanne
            --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "nctexas2002" <jannweaver@a...> wrote:

            > I videotaped a lesson for entry 3, but I am worried about 2 things.
            > First of all you can't hear the kids all the time. I make a point to
            > repeat everything they say. Will that work? Also, there is plenty
            > of me interacting with the students, but little of the students
            > interacting with each other on the video. They are analyzing each
            > other's data as it is put up on the overhead and a few ask questions
            > to the group members. Sometimes they answer, sometimes they don't.
            > Those two things worry me. What is ya's opinion? This is my third
            > time around and really want to do right, but don't really want to
            > film it again if I don't have to. I don't really have the most
            > cooperative students around. Please help!!!!!!!
            >
            > Joe Le
          • nctexas2002
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 13, 2005
              I could do that pretty easy. What about the fact that you can't
              always hear what they are saying, but I repeat it. Do you think that
              would work? The video equipment and microphones at my school suck.
              Thanks!

              --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "eliotmom2" <eliotmom2@y...> wrote:

              > Couldn't you reflect about additional strategies you are trying to
              > influence the students to interact more with each other? In your
              > instructional content describe your students resistance to
              > participation either due to personality or lack of prior knowledge
              or
              > apathy. Try finding strategies to solve these problems and discuss
              > them in your reflection for a way to solve these problems with this
              > group of students. Now I don't know if this will fix your problem
              but
              > it is what I would try doing.
              >
              > Jeanne
              > --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "nctexas2002" <jannweaver@a...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I videotaped a lesson for entry 3, but I am worried about 2
              things.
              > > First of all you can't hear the kids all the time. I make a
              point to
              > > repeat everything they say. Will that work? Also, there is
              plenty
              > > of me interacting with the students, but little of the students
              > > interacting with each other on the video. They are analyzing
              each
              > > other's data as it is put up on the overhead and a few ask
              questions
              > > to the group members. Sometimes they answer, sometimes they
              don't.
              > > Those two things worry me. What is ya's opinion? This is my
              third
              > > time around and really want to do right, but don't really want to
              > > film it again if I don't have to. I don't really have the most
              > > cooperative students around. Please help!!!!!!!
              > >
              > > Joe Le
            • Jeanne Elliott
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 14, 2005
                I think you might have to make that judgement call.
                Can you hear most of what the students say? Can you
                tell the students have spoken and you are repeating
                what they say? On my entry 2 video, I do the same
                thing but you can hear the majority of what my
                students say. I have a habit of repeating what most
                of the students say for the benefit of the whole class
                hearing. I did feel that anyone could hear most of
                what they students say in the video and all of what I
                say and that is in the directions.
                Good luck,
                Jeanne

                http://my.yahoo.com
              • suesippel@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 14, 2005
                  ok... here is my question.... was your video for entry 3 a whole 20 min long??  my best one is a little more than 15.... i restaged thos one with my 6th graders and got one that was 23 min, but it is not as good as the first one.... discussing and analyzing data for 20 min is a hard thing for my studnets to do... is using my 15 min video ok??

                  thanks for the advice!

                  Sue
                • jannweaver@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 14, 2005
                    I would go with the shorter one if it is the better one.  I was told you would rather have less than 20 good minutes than 20 not so good minutes.  Good luck!