Entry 3

  • Cinnamon Frame
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 8 4:35 PM
      I am having a hard time getting a good discussion for Entry 3...Entry 2 rocked, it was great, but the Entry 3 discussions I have tried have been much too teacher-centered...it is frustrating, to say the least. I mean...I can ask the kids to participate, but I have to call on them. My other entries are strong, but I fear I may fail this one.

      Cinnamon in NC
    • Jennifer Lynch
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 8 8:02 PM
        I just finished getting a tape that I think will work.
        First try the kids looked bored becasue they were
        just telling about their data. Today I had them get
        up in front of the class and explain their position,
        each person telling why they took the position. I
        encouraged the rest of the class to ask them questions
        about their explanation. Students enjoyed this and the
        quality of their responses was good.
        --- Cinnamon Frame <cframe@...> wrote:

        > I am having a hard time getting a good discussion
        > for Entry 3...Entry 2 rocked, it was great, but the
        > Entry 3 discussions I have tried have been much too
        > teacher-centered...it is frustrating, to say the
        > least. I mean...I can ask the kids to participate,
        > but I have to call on them. My other entries are
        > strong, but I fear I may fail this one.
        >
        > Cinnamon in NC> No virus found in this outgoing
        message.
        > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
        > Date: 2/7/2005

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Kristi
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 24, 2006
          Can someone out there help me? For entry 3, I had my kids working in
          small groups, each group working on a different investigation based on
          scientific questions they came up with. Some were doing physics
          questions, some life science, and so on. The discussion wasn't that
          great because all of the kids had numeric data, the conclusions were
          obvious. For the video, I started with a whole-group discussion about
          the investigation I did as a model, then I talked to each individual
          group about their data. What do you think?
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006
            Kristi, where there any specific process skills you were trying to
            teach based on their data? I am not quite sure why you feel the
            discussion didn't go well if students had numeric data. Numeric data
            is quantitative data so this should be okay. This entry looks at how
            you help students in there interpretation of data. I guess you may
            need to ask yourself the purpose of your activity in terms of what the
            students should be learning and experiencing.

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006
              Thanks. I didn't feel it went well because the students had
              quantitative data that had obvious conclusions. I didn't have to
              help them interpret at all. What you see is me asking about their
              hypotheses, their procedures, what happened, and what they concluded
              based on that. I didn't have to lead them to their conclusions.
              That makes me think that I need to redo the entry, though I really
              don't have time. My goal for the lesson was to have my students
              become more familiar with inquiry, and to basically go through the
              entire scientific process from question to conclusion based on a
              question that the cooperative groups came up with. I walked them
              through each step of the process reinforcing how to write a good
              question, a good hypothesis, a procedure that would produce valid
              and reliable data, and to come to a conclusion based on that data.
              I modeled each step with my own investigation. Our state has
              specific standards that the kids are expected to know and follow,
              and I modeled the investigation after those specifications. I don't
              know. I still think I need to redo the entry. It just doesn't feel
              right, you know? Again, thank you for your help.

              --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "thescienceteacher"

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 30, 2006
                  It almost sounds like you are describing entry 2. However, remember
                  it is how you get them to analyze data on entry 3. If you believe
                  that your activity/discussion didn't allow for enough probing
                  leading to or validating their conclusion based on data, you may
                  want to re-think the entry