Re: [EASCI] Re: Entry 4

  • stipko@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 8, 2005

      I believe that I listed 5 and spent about 2-3 pages documenting
      them.  I included the website that I created to foster scientific
      inquiry and then how I used it in the classroom and then how it
      helped move the kids forward.  The key to this is that you need to
      prove that it helped and assisted kids in learning (or something
      found in the Standards).
      I most definately used www.mygradebook.com as a proof that I
      do this.  Every Friday and as needed I send out a email
      newsletter (+300 emails) and for those that do not have email I
      print off a copy of the email and send it home.  It shows what we
      did in the week, where we are going, homework, upcomming
      tests, hints on studying, etc.  It is very helpful to the parents as
      they are no longer reactive they are proactive.   They discuss the
      science with their child not "where is this assignment?"
      Because I received so many emails from parents and improved
      grades, it was easy to document.

      I think that if you think about things that you currently do and can
      prove how it helps and assists students then that would be
      easier for you to write about.

      I would be happy to read and mentor you if you would like?
      Regards Jeff
      at the directions mention that no more than 8 items should be
      > included.
      > I was thinking of including, I had
      > thought of including email/phone correspondence with certain
      > parents, a couple faculty presentations that I have done, a
      couple
      > reading workshops that I have taken. Am I on the right track
      here?

      > Stephanie
      >
      > --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "mrsstipko" <stipko@b...>
      wrote:

      > > That sounds great. I can certainly show similar things. The
      > > directions do mention that 15 or so items shoudl be
      included. Did
      > > you do 14 other projects similar to that?
      > >
      > > Also, I've been meaning to start a classroom newsletter. Do
      you
      > have
      > > one that I can sign up for to get some ideas from?
      > >
      > > Thanks so much!
      > > Stephanie
      > > >
      > > > From: "dinobrads" <dinobrads@y...>
      > > > Date: 2005/01/07 Fri PM 07:54:27 EST
      > > > To: EASCI@yahoogroups.com
      > > > Subject: [EASCI] Re: Entry 4

    • dinobrads
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 8, 2005
        Good luck. All you need to do is document this website usage
        and how the interactive componets foster student learning. The
        newsletter idea is very helpful for classroom-parent dialog
        especially since a recent NEA study found that parents are
        feeling more and more like outsiders in their childrens' school. If
        you can prove that you cause the reverse to happen that would
        be beneficial to you passing this Entry.

        For my EASCI passage I started with 4, then entry 3,2, and finally
        entry 1. Good luck.
        Regards.

        --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, <stipko@b...> wrote:
        > Thank you. That was very helpful. I do have a website whihc
        includes tons of helpful and interactive info for the students. I will
        be starting a newsletter too. Thanks for the push in the right
        direction.

      • THudson128@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 8, 2005
          Only include those things that you have done that you can directly link to increased student learning. How havethe faculty presentations positively impacted student acheivement? Make sure that you can document this most important component of every accomplishment that you list.
        • v1945@aol.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 8, 2005
            In a message dated 1/8/05 1:22:53 PM Central Standard Time, dinobrads@... writes:
            Good luck.  All you need to do is document this website usage
            and how the interactive componets foster student learning.   The
            newsletter idea is very helpful for classroom-parent dialog
            especially since a recent NEA study found that parents are
            feeling more and more like outsiders in their childrens' school.  If
            you can prove that you cause the reverse to happen that would
            be beneficial to you passing this Entry.
            Add a tear off strip to your newsletter for parents to respond to a question or request.  This feedback gives verification to your newsletter of parent response and participation.  This can be noted in your portfolio as total or percent of responses from parents.
          • SML
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 4, 2006
              Quick question, if I post grades on the Internet that parents can access at home, would that be considered two way communication.  If it is, can I document student impact with a letter from a parent who has used this resource as a method to motivate her child for improvement?  Thoughts?

              Sue
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006

                ;;)It is one-way communication UNLESS, the parent responds BACK to you.  You musthave documentation for this. Also a variety of ways you provide 2-way communication will be also considered for this entry as well consistency. Examples are emails, parent letters (with parent response), phones calls (with parent response), conferences(with parent response).

                Best Wishes,

                the scienceteacher

                --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, SML <scarab8nbpts@...> wrote:

                > Quick question, if I post grades on the Internet that parents can access
                > at home, would that be considered two way communication. If it is, can
                > I document student impact with a letter from a parent who has used this
                > resource as a method to motivate her child for improvement? Thoughts?
                >
                > Sue
                > --

              • Jeanne Elliott

                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006
                    thescienceteacher,

                    I'm getting the big picture now. Thanks for responding.  So for documentation, the instructions say a single verifier is sufficient for any one accomplishment.  But, we can have up to 16 pages.  Are there certain types of accomplishments where the assessors are looking for more documentation and others where less is acceptable because they just get it?  For example: one of my accomplishment for leader/collaborator and  learner has been a huge two year undertaking with a lot going one.  My thought was, since this is so big and drawn out that I would use more documentation to show the different stages. On the other hand, the web page is relatively straight forward and I can verify it easily with less documentation.  Does that sound right?   Are artifacts better than verifiers for documentation? Or does it not make a difference?  Thanks so much for you comments, suggestions and answers to questions.

                    Cheers,
                    Sue

                    --
                  • SML

                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006

                        Are there  certain types of accomplishments where the assessors are looking for  more documentation and others where less is acceptable because they just  get it?  No.   Remember the categories are parent/commuity, leader/collaborator,  and  learner.  You can have one article on your writing that targets all three aspects.  You just are not allowed to have more than the designated pages based on your porfolio instructions.  Scorers will only read up to the page limit and not futhur.

                        I have heard of candidates that have only submitted 3- accomplishment regarding the 3 aspects and received a 4.  It is what you are writing about and your documentation.  Ask yourself these questions: Does it appear to be consistent?  Is this just routine that all teachers are expected to do?  Are your artifacts dated within the time span allowed? Review your rubric for this entry as well.   Good luck.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006

                          There is nothing wrong with verification forms versus artifacts.  Some use both.  Make sure whatever you send in is completed and dated appropriately.

                          --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, SML <scarab8nbpts@...> wrote:

                          > Quick question, if I post grades on the Internet that parents can access
                          > at home, would that be considered two way communication. If it is, can
                          > I document student impact with a letter from a parent who has used this
                          > resource as a method to motivate her child for improvement? Thoughts?
                          >
                          > Sue
                          > --

                        • Annette Holder

                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006
                              SML,

                              I used documents more than the verification forms just because they seemed to "prove" my accomplishment better.

                              thescienceteacher wrote:

                              > ;;)It is one-way communication UNLESS, the parent responds BACK to
                              > you. You musthave documentation for this. Also a variety of ways you
                              > provide 2-way communication will be also considered for this entry as
                              > well consistency. Examples are emails, parent letters (with parent
                              > response), phones calls (with parent response), conferences(with
                              > parent response).
                              >
                              > Best Wishes,
                              >
                              > the scienceteacher
                              > --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, SML wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Quick question, if I post grades on the Internet that parents can
                              > access
                              > > at home, would that be considered two way communication. If it is, can
                              > > I document student impact with a letter from a parent who has used this
                              > > resource as a method to motivate her child for improvement? Thoughts?
                              > >
                              > > Sue
                              > > --

                              > Secondary school education
                              >
                              > Graduate school education
                              >
                              > Home school education
                              >

                              > Graduate school education online
                              >
                              > High school education
                              >
                              > Chicago school education

                              > Service .

                              http://mail.yahoo.com

                            • saraellon
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                I need suggestions on how I can engage parents and other adults in two-
                                way communication focused primarily on substantive teaching and
                                learning issues and individual student progress.
                                Area: Middle School Science
                              • tanyatebanks@cs.com
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                  I used online communication with a personal website to include science objectives, projects, homework, etc  I also used email lists I developed from a personal letter and sign up from open house. Parents emailed me when mid six weeks reports or in some cases weekly student summaries were sent home.  I used one email that I printed showing correspondence back and forth over a graded paper.

                                  I also used email copies between other science teachers in my building. I also taught a science environmental enrichment class where the students wrote a news letter that was given out to all students and sent home.

                                  Hope these ideas are good for you.
                                • LaDonna Mangum
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                    My best communication came in the form of emails.  I had one child in particular who was not doing well in my class.  His mother and I emailed regularly and I asked her for suggestions on ways in which she thought her child might be successful.

                                    saraellon <saraellon@...> wrote:
                                    I need suggestions on how I can engage parents and other adults in two-
                                    way communication focused primarily on substantive teaching and
                                    learning issues and individual student progress.
                                    Area: Middle School Science

                                    " Life is tough. It's tougher if you are stupid."