Entry 4

  • mrsstipko
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 7, 2005
      I posted this question regarding Entry 4 in another group, but got
      little response so I though I'd try here.

      I have most of Enry 1 under my belt. Now I am working on Entry 4 and
      although I've read through the instructions twice I am still not
      getting a crystal clear idea of exactly what they want here. I am
      very much into specifics. I am keeping a record of all my
      parental contacts as well as email correspondance w/ students. I
      heard that some teachers are doing surveys for this entry. Can I ask
      how those might be useful to Entry 4...and specifically what you
      might survey? (my performance, student performance?) Also, can
      anyone give me any advice as specific items to include in this entry?

      Thank you very mush in advance,
      Stephanie
    • dinobrads
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 7, 2005
        - I've read through the instructions twice I am still not
        > getting a crystal clear idea of exactly what they want here. I
        > heard that some teachers are doing surveys for this entry. Can
        I ask
        > how those might be useful to Entry 4...and specifically what you
        > might survey? (my performance, student performance?) Also,
        can
        > anyone give me any advice as specific items to include in this
        entry?

        > Thank you very mush in advance,
        > Stephanie

        Dear Stephanie,
        Entry 4 is not a resume. I'm not sure what a survey would be use
        for. I passed this past year and used emails with parents to
        support how my classroom newsletters and useage of
        www.mygradebook.com helped move students learning forward.

        The key is to think about something that you do outside the
        classroom that helps and assists students learning. AND that
        you can substiantiate as helping students learn.

        I organized a student work project at the local natural history
        museum. I used student project along with pictures and a
        verification letter from the director to prove that it helps student
        learning.
        Hope this helps.
      • mrsstipko
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 7, 2005
          That sounds great. I can certainly show similar things. The
          directions do mention that 15 or so items shoudl be included. Did
          you do 14 other projects similar to that?

          Also, I've been meaning to start a classroom newsletter. Do you have
          one that I can sign up for to get some ideas from?

          Thanks so much!
          Stephanie

          > From: "dinobrads" <dinobrads@...>
          > Date: 2005/01/07 Fri PM 07:54:27 EST
          > To: EASCI@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [EASCI] Re: Entry 4

        • mrsstipko
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 7, 2005
            Correction. Correction...I was thinking of something else. I meant
            that the directions mention that no more than 8 items should be
            included.

            T ogive some examples of items I was thinking of including, I had
            thought of including email/phone correspondence with certain
            parents, a couple faculty presentations that I have done, a couple
            reading workshops that I have taken. Am I on the right track here?

            Stephanie

            --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "mrsstipko" <stipko@b...> wrote:

            > That sounds great. I can certainly show similar things. The
            > directions do mention that 15 or so items shoudl be included. Did
            > you do 14 other projects similar to that?
            >
            > Also, I've been meaning to start a classroom newsletter. Do you
            have
            > one that I can sign up for to get some ideas from?
            >
            > Thanks so much!
            > Stephanie
            > >
            > > From: "dinobrads" <dinobrads@y...>
            > > Date: 2005/01/07 Fri PM 07:54:27 EST
            > > To: EASCI@yahoogroups.com
            > > Subject: [EASCI] Re: Entry 4

          • dinobrads
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 8, 2005
              I believe that I listed 5 and spent about 2-3 pages documenting
              them. I included the website that I created to foster scientific
              inquiry and then how I used it in the classroom and then how it
              helped move the kids forward. The key to this is that you need to
              prove that it helped and assisted kids in learning (or something
              found in the Standards).
              I most definately used www.mygradebook.com as a proof that I
              do this. Every Friday and as needed I send out a email
              newsletter (+300 emails) and for those that do not have email I
              print off a copy of the email and send it home. It shows what we
              did in the week, where we are going, homework, upcomming
              tests, hints on studying, etc. It is very helpful to the parents as
              they are no longer reactive they are proactive. They discuss the
              science with their child not "where is this assignment?"
              Because I received so many emails from parents and improved
              grades, it was easy to document.

              I think that if you think about things that you currently do and can
              prove how it helps and assists students then that would be
              easier for you to write about.

              I would be happy to read and mentor you if you would like?
              Regards Jeff

            • stipko@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 8, 2005

                I believe that I listed 5 and spent about 2-3 pages documenting
                them.  I included the website that I created to foster scientific
                inquiry and then how I used it in the classroom and then how it
                helped move the kids forward.  The key to this is that you need to
                prove that it helped and assisted kids in learning (or something
                found in the Standards).
                I most definately used www.mygradebook.com as a proof that I
                do this.  Every Friday and as needed I send out a email
                newsletter (+300 emails) and for those that do not have email I
                print off a copy of the email and send it home.  It shows what we
                did in the week, where we are going, homework, upcomming
                tests, hints on studying, etc.  It is very helpful to the parents as
                they are no longer reactive they are proactive.   They discuss the
                science with their child not "where is this assignment?"
                Because I received so many emails from parents and improved
                grades, it was easy to document.

                I think that if you think about things that you currently do and can
                prove how it helps and assists students then that would be
                easier for you to write about.

                I would be happy to read and mentor you if you would like?
                Regards Jeff
                at the directions mention that no more than 8 items should be
                > included.
                > I was thinking of including, I had
                > thought of including email/phone correspondence with certain
                > parents, a couple faculty presentations that I have done, a
                couple
                > reading workshops that I have taken. Am I on the right track
                here?

                > Stephanie
                >
                > --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "mrsstipko" <stipko@b...>
                wrote:

                > > That sounds great. I can certainly show similar things. The
                > > directions do mention that 15 or so items shoudl be
                included. Did
                > > you do 14 other projects similar to that?
                > >
                > > Also, I've been meaning to start a classroom newsletter. Do
                you
                > have
                > > one that I can sign up for to get some ideas from?
                > >
                > > Thanks so much!
                > > Stephanie
                > > >
                > > > From: "dinobrads" <dinobrads@y...>
                > > > Date: 2005/01/07 Fri PM 07:54:27 EST
                > > > To: EASCI@yahoogroups.com
                > > > Subject: [EASCI] Re: Entry 4

              • dinobrads
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 8, 2005
                  Good luck. All you need to do is document this website usage
                  and how the interactive componets foster student learning. The
                  newsletter idea is very helpful for classroom-parent dialog
                  especially since a recent NEA study found that parents are
                  feeling more and more like outsiders in their childrens' school. If
                  you can prove that you cause the reverse to happen that would
                  be beneficial to you passing this Entry.

                  For my EASCI passage I started with 4, then entry 3,2, and finally
                  entry 1. Good luck.
                  Regards.

                  --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, <stipko@b...> wrote:
                  > Thank you. That was very helpful. I do have a website whihc
                  includes tons of helpful and interactive info for the students. I will
                  be starting a newsletter too. Thanks for the push in the right
                  direction.

                • THudson128@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 8, 2005
                    Only include those things that you have done that you can directly link to increased student learning. How havethe faculty presentations positively impacted student acheivement? Make sure that you can document this most important component of every accomplishment that you list.
                  • v1945@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 8, 2005
                      In a message dated 1/8/05 1:22:53 PM Central Standard Time, dinobrads@... writes:
                      Good luck.  All you need to do is document this website usage
                      and how the interactive componets foster student learning.   The
                      newsletter idea is very helpful for classroom-parent dialog
                      especially since a recent NEA study found that parents are
                      feeling more and more like outsiders in their childrens' school.  If
                      you can prove that you cause the reverse to happen that would
                      be beneficial to you passing this Entry.
                      Add a tear off strip to your newsletter for parents to respond to a question or request.  This feedback gives verification to your newsletter of parent response and participation.  This can be noted in your portfolio as total or percent of responses from parents.
                    • SML
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 4, 2006
                        Quick question, if I post grades on the Internet that parents can access at home, would that be considered two way communication.  If it is, can I document student impact with a letter from a parent who has used this resource as a method to motivate her child for improvement?  Thoughts?

                        Sue
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006

                          ;;)It is one-way communication UNLESS, the parent responds BACK to you.  You musthave documentation for this. Also a variety of ways you provide 2-way communication will be also considered for this entry as well consistency. Examples are emails, parent letters (with parent response), phones calls (with parent response), conferences(with parent response).

                          Best Wishes,

                          the scienceteacher

                          --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, SML <scarab8nbpts@...> wrote:

                          > Quick question, if I post grades on the Internet that parents can access
                          > at home, would that be considered two way communication. If it is, can
                          > I document student impact with a letter from a parent who has used this
                          > resource as a method to motivate her child for improvement? Thoughts?
                          >
                          > Sue
                          > --

                        • Jeanne Elliott

                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006
                              thescienceteacher,

                              I'm getting the big picture now. Thanks for responding.  So for documentation, the instructions say a single verifier is sufficient for any one accomplishment.  But, we can have up to 16 pages.  Are there certain types of accomplishments where the assessors are looking for more documentation and others where less is acceptable because they just get it?  For example: one of my accomplishment for leader/collaborator and  learner has been a huge two year undertaking with a lot going one.  My thought was, since this is so big and drawn out that I would use more documentation to show the different stages. On the other hand, the web page is relatively straight forward and I can verify it easily with less documentation.  Does that sound right?   Are artifacts better than verifiers for documentation? Or does it not make a difference?  Thanks so much for you comments, suggestions and answers to questions.

                              Cheers,
                              Sue

                              --
                            • SML

                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006

                                  Are there  certain types of accomplishments where the assessors are looking for  more documentation and others where less is acceptable because they just  get it?  No.   Remember the categories are parent/commuity, leader/collaborator,  and  learner.  You can have one article on your writing that targets all three aspects.  You just are not allowed to have more than the designated pages based on your porfolio instructions.  Scorers will only read up to the page limit and not futhur.

                                  I have heard of candidates that have only submitted 3- accomplishment regarding the 3 aspects and received a 4.  It is what you are writing about and your documentation.  Ask yourself these questions: Does it appear to be consistent?  Is this just routine that all teachers are expected to do?  Are your artifacts dated within the time span allowed? Review your rubric for this entry as well.   Good luck.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006

                                    There is nothing wrong with verification forms versus artifacts.  Some use both.  Make sure whatever you send in is completed and dated appropriately.

                                    --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, SML <scarab8nbpts@...> wrote:

                                    > Quick question, if I post grades on the Internet that parents can access
                                    > at home, would that be considered two way communication. If it is, can
                                    > I document student impact with a letter from a parent who has used this
                                    > resource as a method to motivate her child for improvement? Thoughts?
                                    >
                                    > Sue
                                    > --

                                  • Annette Holder

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006
                                        SML,

                                        I used documents more than the verification forms just because they seemed to "prove" my accomplishment better.

                                        thescienceteacher wrote:

                                        > ;;)It is one-way communication UNLESS, the parent responds BACK to
                                        > you. You musthave documentation for this. Also a variety of ways you
                                        > provide 2-way communication will be also considered for this entry as
                                        > well consistency. Examples are emails, parent letters (with parent
                                        > response), phones calls (with parent response), conferences(with
                                        > parent response).
                                        >
                                        > Best Wishes,
                                        >
                                        > the scienceteacher
                                        > --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, SML wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Quick question, if I post grades on the Internet that parents can
                                        > access
                                        > > at home, would that be considered two way communication. If it is, can
                                        > > I document student impact with a letter from a parent who has used this
                                        > > resource as a method to motivate her child for improvement? Thoughts?
                                        > >
                                        > > Sue
                                        > > --

                                        > Secondary school education
                                        >
                                        > Graduate school education
                                        >
                                        > Home school education
                                        >

                                        > Graduate school education online
                                        >
                                        > High school education
                                        >
                                        > Chicago school education

                                        > Service .

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                                      • saraellon
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                          I need suggestions on how I can engage parents and other adults in two-
                                          way communication focused primarily on substantive teaching and
                                          learning issues and individual student progress.
                                          Area: Middle School Science
                                        • tanyatebanks@cs.com
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                            I used online communication with a personal website to include science objectives, projects, homework, etc  I also used email lists I developed from a personal letter and sign up from open house. Parents emailed me when mid six weeks reports or in some cases weekly student summaries were sent home.  I used one email that I printed showing correspondence back and forth over a graded paper.

                                            I also used email copies between other science teachers in my building. I also taught a science environmental enrichment class where the students wrote a news letter that was given out to all students and sent home.

                                            Hope these ideas are good for you.
                                          • LaDonna Mangum
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                              My best communication came in the form of emails.  I had one child in particular who was not doing well in my class.  His mother and I emailed regularly and I asked her for suggestions on ways in which she thought her child might be successful.

                                              saraellon <saraellon@...> wrote:
                                              I need suggestions on how I can engage parents and other adults in two-
                                              way communication focused primarily on substantive teaching and
                                              learning issues and individual student progress.
                                              Area: Middle School Science

                                              " Life is tough. It's tougher if you are stupid."