Re: assessment center

  • sedwards1162
    Message 1 of 20 , May 27 4:32 PM
      I took my assessment today. I agree with some of the other advice
      posted here. The Pathways book for middle school science which can
      be bought from NSTA was a tremendous help. Especially when it
      explains unifying concepts and social and technological issues and
      the main concepts that are advocated by the NSTA for students of
      this age.

      Be VERY familiar with the set up by practicing the tutorial before
      you go. Your time starts as soon as you access the entry so you
      don't want to lose time.

      The instruction window reviews for you what is required and scoring
      criteria. But be VERY familiar with what the exercise want from you
      before you go, so you don't waste time trying to read that material.

      The main stress I experienced was trying to be detailed enough
      within the time limits. I felt good about what I said, but who
      knows if it was detailed and on target enough to score well with the
      evaluators.

      Good luck to everyone!
    • Dottie Hayes
      Message 2 of 20 , May 28 8:32 AM
        Thanks for the information.
        I did the online tutorial and have been reviewing the national standards along with reading the texts used at my school.
        I hope everyone does well.
        Dottie

        sedwards1162 <sdrawde@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Carmen Dyse
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 9, 2004
          --- Dottie Hayes <artwoman69@...> wrote:
          > Thanks for the information.
          > I did the online tutorial and have been reviewing
          > the national standards along with reading the texts
          > used at my school.
          > I hope everyone does well.
          > Dottie
          >
          > sedwards1162 <sdrawde@...> wrote:
          > I took my assessment today. I agree with some of
          > the other advice
          > posted here. The Pathways book for middle school
          > science which can
          > be bought from NSTA was a tremendous help.
          > Especially when it
          where can you find the Pathway book?
          where can you find the Pathway book?
          > explains unifying concepts and social and
          > technological issues and
          > the main concepts that are advocated by the NSTA for
          > students of
          > this age.
          >
          > Be VERY familiar with the set up by practicing the
          > tutorial before
          > you go. Your time starts as soon as you access the
          > entry so you
          > don't want to lose time.
          >
          > The instruction window reviews for you what is
          > required and scoring
          > criteria. But be VERY familiar with what the
          > exercise want from you
          > before you go, so you don't waste time trying to
          > read that material.
          >
          > The main stress I experienced was trying to be
          > detailed enough
          > within the time limits. I felt good about what I
          > said, but who
          > knows if it was detailed and on target enough to
          > score well with the
          > evaluators.
          >
          > Good luck to everyone!
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

          http://messenger.yahoo.com/
        • Carmen Dyse

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 8, 2005
              I am having a hard time getting a good discussion for Entry 3...Entry 2 rocked, it was great, but the Entry 3 discussions I have tried have been much too teacher-centered...it is frustrating, to say the least. I mean...I can ask the kids to participate, but I have to call on them. My other entries are strong, but I fear I may fail this one.

              Cinnamon in NC
            • Jennifer Lynch
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 8, 2005
                I just finished getting a tape that I think will work.
                First try the kids looked bored becasue they were
                just telling about their data. Today I had them get
                up in front of the class and explain their position,
                each person telling why they took the position. I
                encouraged the rest of the class to ask them questions
                about their explanation. Students enjoyed this and the
                quality of their responses was good.
                --- Cinnamon Frame <cframe@...> wrote:

                > I am having a hard time getting a good discussion
                > for Entry 3...Entry 2 rocked, it was great, but the
                > Entry 3 discussions I have tried have been much too
                > teacher-centered...it is frustrating, to say the
                > least. I mean...I can ask the kids to participate,
                > but I have to call on them. My other entries are
                > strong, but I fear I may fail this one.
                >
                > Cinnamon in NC> No virus found in this outgoing
                message.
                > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
                > Date: 2/7/2005

                http://my.yahoo.com
              • Kristi
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 24, 2006
                  Can someone out there help me? For entry 3, I had my kids working in
                  small groups, each group working on a different investigation based on
                  scientific questions they came up with. Some were doing physics
                  questions, some life science, and so on. The discussion wasn't that
                  great because all of the kids had numeric data, the conclusions were
                  obvious. For the video, I started with a whole-group discussion about
                  the investigation I did as a model, then I talked to each individual
                  group about their data. What do you think?
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006
                    Kristi, where there any specific process skills you were trying to
                    teach based on their data? I am not quite sure why you feel the
                    discussion didn't go well if students had numeric data. Numeric data
                    is quantitative data so this should be okay. This entry looks at how
                    you help students in there interpretation of data. I guess you may
                    need to ask yourself the purpose of your activity in terms of what the
                    students should be learning and experiencing.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006
                      Thanks. I didn't feel it went well because the students had
                      quantitative data that had obvious conclusions. I didn't have to
                      help them interpret at all. What you see is me asking about their
                      hypotheses, their procedures, what happened, and what they concluded
                      based on that. I didn't have to lead them to their conclusions.
                      That makes me think that I need to redo the entry, though I really
                      don't have time. My goal for the lesson was to have my students
                      become more familiar with inquiry, and to basically go through the
                      entire scientific process from question to conclusion based on a
                      question that the cooperative groups came up with. I walked them
                      through each step of the process reinforcing how to write a good
                      question, a good hypothesis, a procedure that would produce valid
                      and reliable data, and to come to a conclusion based on that data.
                      I modeled each step with my own investigation. Our state has
                      specific standards that the kids are expected to know and follow,
                      and I modeled the investigation after those specifications. I don't
                      know. I still think I need to redo the entry. It just doesn't feel
                      right, you know? Again, thank you for your help.

                      --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "thescienceteacher"

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 30, 2006
                          It almost sounds like you are describing entry 2. However, remember
                          it is how you get them to analyze data on entry 3. If you believe
                          that your activity/discussion didn't allow for enough probing
                          leading to or validating their conclusion based on data, you may
                          want to re-think the entry