Re: Lettin' Off Steam

  • sciquest2000
    Message 1 of 6 , May 24, 2004
      We had a meeting about testing in our state. It was
      informative and helpful. They said to look at the specific way in
      the the prompts are addressed. In otherwords when the question
      states to "explain" then make sure that you do that. They also
      suggested typing to prompts on computer by practice so that you get
      an idea of what a 30 minute time limit is. And of course they said
      to do the practice prompts at the NBTS web site.
      I wished someone would have answered my question I posed
      earlier on this site but I never got any feedback so don't how much
      help you'll get in regard to the prompts here or other suggestions.
      My test date is June 9th and since school is out, I am
      studying like heck over areas haven't taught. Also I am doing the
      same thing as the other person that responded to your
      question...searching the internet for helpful advice.

      Good Luck to you!!

      The Science TEacher
    • dinobrads
      Message 2 of 6 , May 26, 2004
        --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Dottie Hayes <artwoman69@y...> wrote:
        > If anyone has ANY advice for testing, let me know.I really have no
        idea what to study.
        > Thanks!!!
        >
        > arholder2003 <arholder2003@y...> wrote:
        > I mailed my portfolio in on April first and completed the
        assessment
        > center requirement May 10. Since the group has been terribly quiet
        > for a while I thought I would encourage, as much as I can, those
        > about to assess. This was my first attempt and I have already
        begun
        > making plans for any redos.
        >
        > Annette

        I took my test on April 16th at the college assessment
        center. The biggest help to me was the NBPTS tutorial.
        Seriously, if you treat it like the real thing it really
        will help you work out your battle plan on how to tackle
        this test. I used the full 30 minutes for each practice
        test and it was very helpful in getting me to think about
        the testing situation and how to think.

        In regards to the EA Science test, I was sworn to not tell
        about any aspects of the test so please do not ask but I
        will point out that the book that helped me the best was
        the following that I have used over the past few years from
        the National Science Teachers Association website. It was
        great.
        http://store.nsta.org/showItem.asp?
        product=PB125X&session=818F3785BCC14AB6BF80F76613A6EC7F

        NSTA Pathways to the Science Standards (Middle)

        This book works through all aspects of what we were to be
        tested on and it makes sense because it is taken right from
        the Standards;
        Unifying Concepts
        Misconceptions commonly found in Earth, Life and Physical
        Change over Time
        Science, Technology, and Society
        Interrelationships

        This book is also a quick read.
        I hope this helps you.
        Regards,
        Jeff
      • Annette Holder
        Message 3 of 6 , May 27, 2004

          dinobrads <dinobrads@...> wrote:
          --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Dottie Hayes <artwoman69@y...> wrote:
          > If anyone has ANY advice for testing, let me know.I really have no
          idea what to study.
          > Thanks!!!
          >
          > arholder2003 <arholder2003@y...> wrote:
          > I mailed my portfolio in on April first and completed the
          assessment
          > center requirement May 10.  Since the group has been terribly quiet
          > for a while I thought I would encourage, as much as I can, those
          > about to assess.  This was my first attempt and I have already
          begun
          > making plans for any redos.
          >
          > Annette

          I took my test on April 16th at the college assessment
          center. The biggest help to me was the NBPTS tutorial.
          Seriously, if you treat it like the real thing it really
          will help you work out your battle plan on how to tackle
          this test. I used the full 30 minutes for each practice
          test and it was very helpful in getting me to think about
          the testing situation and how to think.

          In regards to the EA Science test, I was sworn to not tell
          about any aspects of the test so please do not ask but I
          will point out that the book that helped me the best was
          the following that I have used over the past few years from
          the National Science Teachers Association website. It was
          great.
          http://store.nsta.org/showItem.asp?
          product=PB125X&session=818F3785BCC14AB6BF80F76613A6EC7F

          NSTA Pathways to the Science Standards (Middle)

          This book works through all aspects of what we were to be
          tested on and it makes sense because it is taken right from
          the Standards;
          Unifying Concepts
          Misconceptions commonly found in Earth, Life and Physical
          Change over Time
          Science, Technology, and Society
          Interrelationships

          This book is also a quick read.
          I hope this helps you.
          Regards,
          Jeff

          Dottie,

          I felt like the test was relatively easy.  I am usually a pretty good judge of that.  I found that there were no surprises on the test.  Plus the rubric is right there on the screen where you type in your response to the question.  Thirty minutes was plenty of time. I teach ninth grade physical science, though I have taught 7th and 8th grade Life and Earth sciences too.  I read over the NBPTS standards several times and the National science frameworks (standards) several times throughout the year.  I also read a 5th grade science book.

          Hope this helps.  Good Luck!!

          Annette