Re: [EASCI] Lettin' Off Steam

  • Dottie Hayes
    Message 1 of 6 , May 24, 2004
      If anyone has ANY advice for testing, let me know.I really have no idea what to study.
      Thanks!!!

      arholder2003 <arholder2003@...> wrote:
      I mailed my portfolio in on April first and completed the assessment
      center requirement May 10.  Since the group has been terribly quiet
      for a while I thought I would encourage, as much as I can, those
      about to assess.  This was my first attempt and I have already begun
      making plans for any redos.

      Annette

    • Peggy Brody
      Message 2 of 6 , May 24, 2004
        Since I primarily taught 6th grade science, I borrowed a TE for 7th and 8th grade science and studied those.  I also found misconceptions in science on various internet sites and studied those.  Be ready to develop a unit of study for any concept, discover misconceptions, and apply big ideas to smaller concepts.  This method helped me.
        Peggy

        Message 3 of 6 , May 24, 2004
          We had a meeting about testing in our state. It was
          informative and helpful. They said to look at the specific way in
          the the prompts are addressed. In otherwords when the question
          states to "explain" then make sure that you do that. They also
          suggested typing to prompts on computer by practice so that you get
          an idea of what a 30 minute time limit is. And of course they said
          to do the practice prompts at the NBTS web site.
          I wished someone would have answered my question I posed
          earlier on this site but I never got any feedback so don't how much
          help you'll get in regard to the prompts here or other suggestions.
          My test date is June 9th and since school is out, I am
          studying like heck over areas haven't taught. Also I am doing the
          same thing as the other person that responded to your
          question...searching the internet for helpful advice.

          Good Luck to you!!

          The Science TEacher
        • dinobrads
          Message 4 of 6 , May 26, 2004
            --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Dottie Hayes <artwoman69@y...> wrote:
            > If anyone has ANY advice for testing, let me know.I really have no
            idea what to study.
            > Thanks!!!
            >
            > arholder2003 <arholder2003@y...> wrote:
            > I mailed my portfolio in on April first and completed the
            assessment
            > center requirement May 10. Since the group has been terribly quiet
            > for a while I thought I would encourage, as much as I can, those
            > about to assess. This was my first attempt and I have already
            begun
            > making plans for any redos.
            >
            > Annette

            I took my test on April 16th at the college assessment
            center. The biggest help to me was the NBPTS tutorial.
            Seriously, if you treat it like the real thing it really
            will help you work out your battle plan on how to tackle
            this test. I used the full 30 minutes for each practice
            test and it was very helpful in getting me to think about
            the testing situation and how to think.

            In regards to the EA Science test, I was sworn to not tell
            about any aspects of the test so please do not ask but I
            will point out that the book that helped me the best was
            the following that I have used over the past few years from
            the National Science Teachers Association website. It was
            great.
            http://store.nsta.org/showItem.asp?
            product=PB125X&session=818F3785BCC14AB6BF80F76613A6EC7F

            NSTA Pathways to the Science Standards (Middle)

            This book works through all aspects of what we were to be
            tested on and it makes sense because it is taken right from
            the Standards;
            Unifying Concepts
            Misconceptions commonly found in Earth, Life and Physical
            Change over Time
            Science, Technology, and Society
            Interrelationships

            This book is also a quick read.
            I hope this helps you.
            Regards,
            Jeff
          • Annette Holder
            Message 5 of 6 , May 27, 2004

              dinobrads <dinobrads@...> wrote:
              --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Dottie Hayes <artwoman69@y...> wrote:
              > If anyone has ANY advice for testing, let me know.I really have no
              idea what to study.
              > Thanks!!!
              >
              > arholder2003 <arholder2003@y...> wrote:
              > I mailed my portfolio in on April first and completed the
              assessment
              > center requirement May 10.  Since the group has been terribly quiet
              > for a while I thought I would encourage, as much as I can, those
              > about to assess.  This was my first attempt and I have already
              begun
              > making plans for any redos.
              >
              > Annette

              I took my test on April 16th at the college assessment
              center. The biggest help to me was the NBPTS tutorial.
              Seriously, if you treat it like the real thing it really
              will help you work out your battle plan on how to tackle
              this test. I used the full 30 minutes for each practice
              test and it was very helpful in getting me to think about
              the testing situation and how to think.

              In regards to the EA Science test, I was sworn to not tell
              about any aspects of the test so please do not ask but I
              will point out that the book that helped me the best was
              the following that I have used over the past few years from
              the National Science Teachers Association website. It was
              great.
              http://store.nsta.org/showItem.asp?
              product=PB125X&session=818F3785BCC14AB6BF80F76613A6EC7F

              NSTA Pathways to the Science Standards (Middle)

              This book works through all aspects of what we were to be
              tested on and it makes sense because it is taken right from
              the Standards;
              Unifying Concepts
              Misconceptions commonly found in Earth, Life and Physical
              Change over Time
              Science, Technology, and Society
              Interrelationships

              This book is also a quick read.
              I hope this helps you.
              Regards,
              Jeff

              Dottie,

              I felt like the test was relatively easy.  I am usually a pretty good judge of that.  I found that there were no surprises on the test.  Plus the rubric is right there on the screen where you type in your response to the question.  Thirty minutes was plenty of time. I teach ninth grade physical science, though I have taught 7th and 8th grade Life and Earth sciences too.  I read over the NBPTS standards several times and the National science frameworks (standards) several times throughout the year.  I also read a 5th grade science book.

              Hope this helps.  Good Luck!!

              Annette