Re: [EASCI] assessment center

  • Stacy Cordes
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 28, 2004
      Read student/teacher texts from varying age levels. Especially study topics you do not teach often or are uncomfortable teaching. Read, read, read. Practice responses for any topic you feel uneasy about.  Practice, practice, practice. Good luck.
      Stacy

      "Kallie A. Hilyard" <hilyarka@...> wrote:
            I am taking my assessment center in a few weeks and was wondering if
      anyone had any advice. Thanks

    • Kallie A. Hilyard
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 29, 2004
        Thanks!!!!!
      • sedwards1162
        Message 3 of 20 , May 27, 2004
          I took my assessment today. I agree with some of the other advice
          posted here. The Pathways book for middle school science which can
          be bought from NSTA was a tremendous help. Especially when it
          explains unifying concepts and social and technological issues and
          the main concepts that are advocated by the NSTA for students of
          this age.

          Be VERY familiar with the set up by practicing the tutorial before
          you go. Your time starts as soon as you access the entry so you
          don't want to lose time.

          The instruction window reviews for you what is required and scoring
          criteria. But be VERY familiar with what the exercise want from you
          before you go, so you don't waste time trying to read that material.

          The main stress I experienced was trying to be detailed enough
          within the time limits. I felt good about what I said, but who
          knows if it was detailed and on target enough to score well with the
          evaluators.

          Good luck to everyone!
        • Dottie Hayes
          Message 4 of 20 , May 28, 2004
            Thanks for the information.
            I did the online tutorial and have been reviewing the national standards along with reading the texts used at my school.
            I hope everyone does well.
            Dottie

            sedwards1162 <sdrawde@...> wrote:
[...]

          • Carmen Dyse
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 9, 2004
              --- Dottie Hayes <artwoman69@...> wrote:
              > Thanks for the information.
              > I did the online tutorial and have been reviewing
              > the national standards along with reading the texts
              > used at my school.
              > I hope everyone does well.
              > Dottie
              >
              > sedwards1162 <sdrawde@...> wrote:
              > I took my assessment today. I agree with some of
              > the other advice
              > posted here. The Pathways book for middle school
              > science which can
              > be bought from NSTA was a tremendous help.
              > Especially when it
              where can you find the Pathway book?
              where can you find the Pathway book?
              > explains unifying concepts and social and
              > technological issues and
              > the main concepts that are advocated by the NSTA for
              > students of
              > this age.
              >
              > Be VERY familiar with the set up by practicing the
              > tutorial before
              > you go. Your time starts as soon as you access the
              > entry so you
              > don't want to lose time.
              >
              > The instruction window reviews for you what is
              > required and scoring
              > criteria. But be VERY familiar with what the
              > exercise want from you
              > before you go, so you don't waste time trying to
              > read that material.
              >
              > The main stress I experienced was trying to be
              > detailed enough
              > within the time limits. I felt good about what I
              > said, but who
              > knows if it was detailed and on target enough to
              > score well with the
              > evaluators.
              >
              > Good luck to everyone!
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

              http://messenger.yahoo.com/
            • Carmen Dyse

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 8, 2005
                  I am having a hard time getting a good discussion for Entry 3...Entry 2 rocked, it was great, but the Entry 3 discussions I have tried have been much too teacher-centered...it is frustrating, to say the least. I mean...I can ask the kids to participate, but I have to call on them. My other entries are strong, but I fear I may fail this one.

                  Cinnamon in NC
                • Jennifer Lynch
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 8, 2005
                    I just finished getting a tape that I think will work.
                    First try the kids looked bored becasue they were
                    just telling about their data. Today I had them get
                    up in front of the class and explain their position,
                    each person telling why they took the position. I
                    encouraged the rest of the class to ask them questions
                    about their explanation. Students enjoyed this and the
                    quality of their responses was good.
                    --- Cinnamon Frame <cframe@...> wrote:

                    > I am having a hard time getting a good discussion
                    > for Entry 3...Entry 2 rocked, it was great, but the
                    > Entry 3 discussions I have tried have been much too
                    > teacher-centered...it is frustrating, to say the
                    > least. I mean...I can ask the kids to participate,
                    > but I have to call on them. My other entries are
                    > strong, but I fear I may fail this one.
                    >
                    > Cinnamon in NC> No virus found in this outgoing
                    message.
                    > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
                    > Date: 2/7/2005

                    http://my.yahoo.com
                  • Kristi
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 24, 2006
                      Can someone out there help me? For entry 3, I had my kids working in
                      small groups, each group working on a different investigation based on
                      scientific questions they came up with. Some were doing physics
                      questions, some life science, and so on. The discussion wasn't that
                      great because all of the kids had numeric data, the conclusions were
                      obvious. For the video, I started with a whole-group discussion about
                      the investigation I did as a model, then I talked to each individual
                      group about their data. What do you think?
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006
                        Kristi, where there any specific process skills you were trying to
                        teach based on their data? I am not quite sure why you feel the
                        discussion didn't go well if students had numeric data. Numeric data
                        is quantitative data so this should be okay. This entry looks at how
                        you help students in there interpretation of data. I guess you may
                        need to ask yourself the purpose of your activity in terms of what the
                        students should be learning and experiencing.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006
                          Thanks. I didn't feel it went well because the students had
                          quantitative data that had obvious conclusions. I didn't have to
                          help them interpret at all. What you see is me asking about their
                          hypotheses, their procedures, what happened, and what they concluded
                          based on that. I didn't have to lead them to their conclusions.
                          That makes me think that I need to redo the entry, though I really
                          don't have time. My goal for the lesson was to have my students
                          become more familiar with inquiry, and to basically go through the
                          entire scientific process from question to conclusion based on a
                          question that the cooperative groups came up with. I walked them
                          through each step of the process reinforcing how to write a good
                          question, a good hypothesis, a procedure that would produce valid
                          and reliable data, and to come to a conclusion based on that data.
                          I modeled each step with my own investigation. Our state has
                          specific standards that the kids are expected to know and follow,
                          and I modeled the investigation after those specifications. I don't
                          know. I still think I need to redo the entry. It just doesn't feel
                          right, you know? Again, thank you for your help.

                          --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "thescienceteacher"

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 30, 2006
                              It almost sounds like you are describing entry 2. However, remember
                              it is how you get them to analyze data on entry 3. If you believe
                              that your activity/discussion didn't allow for enough probing
                              leading to or validating their conclusion based on data, you may
                              want to re-think the entry