assessment center

  • Kallie A. Hilyard
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 26, 2004
      I am taking my assessment center in a few weeks and was wondering if
      anyone had any advice. Thanks
    • Stacy Cordes
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 28, 2004
        Read student/teacher texts from varying age levels. Especially study topics you do not teach often or are uncomfortable teaching. Read, read, read. Practice responses for any topic you feel uneasy about.  Practice, practice, practice. Good luck.
        Stacy

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 29, 2004
          Thanks!!!!!
        • sedwards1162
          Message 4 of 20 , May 27, 2004
            I took my assessment today. I agree with some of the other advice
            posted here. The Pathways book for middle school science which can
            be bought from NSTA was a tremendous help. Especially when it
            explains unifying concepts and social and technological issues and
            the main concepts that are advocated by the NSTA for students of
            this age.

            Be VERY familiar with the set up by practicing the tutorial before
            you go. Your time starts as soon as you access the entry so you
            don't want to lose time.

            The instruction window reviews for you what is required and scoring
            criteria. But be VERY familiar with what the exercise want from you
            before you go, so you don't waste time trying to read that material.

            The main stress I experienced was trying to be detailed enough
            within the time limits. I felt good about what I said, but who
            knows if it was detailed and on target enough to score well with the
            evaluators.

            Good luck to everyone!
          • Dottie Hayes
            Message 5 of 20 , May 28, 2004
              Thanks for the information.
              I did the online tutorial and have been reviewing the national standards along with reading the texts used at my school.
              I hope everyone does well.
              Dottie

              sedwards1162 <sdrawde@...> wrote:
[...]

            • Carmen Dyse
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 9, 2004
                --- Dottie Hayes <artwoman69@...> wrote:
                > Thanks for the information.
                > I did the online tutorial and have been reviewing
                > the national standards along with reading the texts
                > used at my school.
                > I hope everyone does well.
                > Dottie
                >
                > sedwards1162 <sdrawde@...> wrote:
                > I took my assessment today. I agree with some of
                > the other advice
                > posted here. The Pathways book for middle school
                > science which can
                > be bought from NSTA was a tremendous help.
                > Especially when it
                where can you find the Pathway book?
                where can you find the Pathway book?
                > explains unifying concepts and social and
                > technological issues and
                > the main concepts that are advocated by the NSTA for
                > students of
                > this age.
                >
                > Be VERY familiar with the set up by practicing the
                > tutorial before
                > you go. Your time starts as soon as you access the
                > entry so you
                > don't want to lose time.
                >
                > The instruction window reviews for you what is
                > required and scoring
                > criteria. But be VERY familiar with what the
                > exercise want from you
                > before you go, so you don't waste time trying to
                > read that material.
                >
                > The main stress I experienced was trying to be
                > detailed enough
                > within the time limits. I felt good about what I
                > said, but who
                > knows if it was detailed and on target enough to
                > score well with the
                > evaluators.
                >
                > Good luck to everyone!
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                http://messenger.yahoo.com/
              • Carmen Dyse

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 8, 2005
                    I am having a hard time getting a good discussion for Entry 3...Entry 2 rocked, it was great, but the Entry 3 discussions I have tried have been much too teacher-centered...it is frustrating, to say the least. I mean...I can ask the kids to participate, but I have to call on them. My other entries are strong, but I fear I may fail this one.

                    Cinnamon in NC
                  • Jennifer Lynch
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 8, 2005
                      I just finished getting a tape that I think will work.
                      First try the kids looked bored becasue they were
                      just telling about their data. Today I had them get
                      up in front of the class and explain their position,
                      each person telling why they took the position. I
                      encouraged the rest of the class to ask them questions
                      about their explanation. Students enjoyed this and the
                      quality of their responses was good.
                      --- Cinnamon Frame <cframe@...> wrote:

                      > I am having a hard time getting a good discussion
                      > for Entry 3...Entry 2 rocked, it was great, but the
                      > Entry 3 discussions I have tried have been much too
                      > teacher-centered...it is frustrating, to say the
                      > least. I mean...I can ask the kids to participate,
                      > but I have to call on them. My other entries are
                      > strong, but I fear I may fail this one.
                      >
                      > Cinnamon in NC> No virus found in this outgoing
                      message.
                      > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
                      > Date: 2/7/2005

                      http://my.yahoo.com
                    • Kristi
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 24, 2006
                        Can someone out there help me? For entry 3, I had my kids working in
                        small groups, each group working on a different investigation based on
                        scientific questions they came up with. Some were doing physics
                        questions, some life science, and so on. The discussion wasn't that
                        great because all of the kids had numeric data, the conclusions were
                        obvious. For the video, I started with a whole-group discussion about
                        the investigation I did as a model, then I talked to each individual
                        group about their data. What do you think?
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006
                          Kristi, where there any specific process skills you were trying to
                          teach based on their data? I am not quite sure why you feel the
                          discussion didn't go well if students had numeric data. Numeric data
                          is quantitative data so this should be okay. This entry looks at how
                          you help students in there interpretation of data. I guess you may
                          need to ask yourself the purpose of your activity in terms of what the
                          students should be learning and experiencing.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006
                            Thanks. I didn't feel it went well because the students had
                            quantitative data that had obvious conclusions. I didn't have to
                            help them interpret at all. What you see is me asking about their
                            hypotheses, their procedures, what happened, and what they concluded
                            based on that. I didn't have to lead them to their conclusions.
                            That makes me think that I need to redo the entry, though I really
                            don't have time. My goal for the lesson was to have my students
                            become more familiar with inquiry, and to basically go through the
                            entire scientific process from question to conclusion based on a
                            question that the cooperative groups came up with. I walked them
                            through each step of the process reinforcing how to write a good
                            question, a good hypothesis, a procedure that would produce valid
                            and reliable data, and to come to a conclusion based on that data.
                            I modeled each step with my own investigation. Our state has
                            specific standards that the kids are expected to know and follow,
                            and I modeled the investigation after those specifications. I don't
                            know. I still think I need to redo the entry. It just doesn't feel
                            right, you know? Again, thank you for your help.

                            --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "thescienceteacher"

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 30, 2006
                                It almost sounds like you are describing entry 2. However, remember
                                it is how you get them to analyze data on entry 3. If you believe
                                that your activity/discussion didn't allow for enough probing
                                leading to or validating their conclusion based on data, you may
                                want to re-think the entry