Re: [EASCI] Entry 3

  • Kallie A. Hilyard
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 26, 2004
      yes but i think you need to stress what the data tells them
    • Kallie A. Hilyard
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 26, 2004
        I am taking my assessment center in a few weeks and was wondering if
        anyone had any advice. Thanks
      • Stacy Cordes
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 28, 2004
          Read student/teacher texts from varying age levels. Especially study topics you do not teach often or are uncomfortable teaching. Read, read, read. Practice responses for any topic you feel uneasy about.  Practice, practice, practice. Good luck.
          Stacy

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 29, 2004
            Thanks!!!!!
          • sedwards1162
            Message 5 of 20 , May 27 4:32 PM
              I took my assessment today. I agree with some of the other advice
              posted here. The Pathways book for middle school science which can
              be bought from NSTA was a tremendous help. Especially when it
              explains unifying concepts and social and technological issues and
              the main concepts that are advocated by the NSTA for students of
              this age.

              Be VERY familiar with the set up by practicing the tutorial before
              you go. Your time starts as soon as you access the entry so you
              don't want to lose time.

              The instruction window reviews for you what is required and scoring
              criteria. But be VERY familiar with what the exercise want from you
              before you go, so you don't waste time trying to read that material.

              The main stress I experienced was trying to be detailed enough
              within the time limits. I felt good about what I said, but who
              knows if it was detailed and on target enough to score well with the
              evaluators.

              Good luck to everyone!
            • Dottie Hayes
              Message 6 of 20 , May 28 8:32 AM
                Thanks for the information.
                I did the online tutorial and have been reviewing the national standards along with reading the texts used at my school.
                I hope everyone does well.
                Dottie

                sedwards1162 <sdrawde@...> wrote:
[...]

              • Carmen Dyse
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 9, 2004
                  --- Dottie Hayes <artwoman69@...> wrote:
                  > Thanks for the information.
                  > I did the online tutorial and have been reviewing
                  > the national standards along with reading the texts
                  > used at my school.
                  > I hope everyone does well.
                  > Dottie
                  >
                  > sedwards1162 <sdrawde@...> wrote:
                  > I took my assessment today. I agree with some of
                  > the other advice
                  > posted here. The Pathways book for middle school
                  > science which can
                  > be bought from NSTA was a tremendous help.
                  > Especially when it
                  where can you find the Pathway book?
                  where can you find the Pathway book?
                  > explains unifying concepts and social and
                  > technological issues and
                  > the main concepts that are advocated by the NSTA for
                  > students of
                  > this age.
                  >
                  > Be VERY familiar with the set up by practicing the
                  > tutorial before
                  > you go. Your time starts as soon as you access the
                  > entry so you
                  > don't want to lose time.
                  >
                  > The instruction window reviews for you what is
                  > required and scoring
                  > criteria. But be VERY familiar with what the
                  > exercise want from you
                  > before you go, so you don't waste time trying to
                  > read that material.
                  >
                  > The main stress I experienced was trying to be
                  > detailed enough
                  > within the time limits. I felt good about what I
                  > said, but who
                  > knows if it was detailed and on target enough to
                  > score well with the
                  > evaluators.
                  >
                  > Good luck to everyone!
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                  http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                • Carmen Dyse

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 8, 2005
                      I am having a hard time getting a good discussion for Entry 3...Entry 2 rocked, it was great, but the Entry 3 discussions I have tried have been much too teacher-centered...it is frustrating, to say the least. I mean...I can ask the kids to participate, but I have to call on them. My other entries are strong, but I fear I may fail this one.

                      Cinnamon in NC
                    • Jennifer Lynch
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 8, 2005
                        I just finished getting a tape that I think will work.
                        First try the kids looked bored becasue they were
                        just telling about their data. Today I had them get
                        up in front of the class and explain their position,
                        each person telling why they took the position. I
                        encouraged the rest of the class to ask them questions
                        about their explanation. Students enjoyed this and the
                        quality of their responses was good.
                        --- Cinnamon Frame <cframe@...> wrote:

                        > I am having a hard time getting a good discussion
                        > for Entry 3...Entry 2 rocked, it was great, but the
                        > Entry 3 discussions I have tried have been much too
                        > teacher-centered...it is frustrating, to say the
                        > least. I mean...I can ask the kids to participate,
                        > but I have to call on them. My other entries are
                        > strong, but I fear I may fail this one.
                        >
                        > Cinnamon in NC> No virus found in this outgoing
                        message.
                        > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
                        > Date: 2/7/2005

                        http://my.yahoo.com
                      • Kristi
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 24, 2006
                          Can someone out there help me? For entry 3, I had my kids working in
                          small groups, each group working on a different investigation based on
                          scientific questions they came up with. Some were doing physics
                          questions, some life science, and so on. The discussion wasn't that
                          great because all of the kids had numeric data, the conclusions were
                          obvious. For the video, I started with a whole-group discussion about
                          the investigation I did as a model, then I talked to each individual
                          group about their data. What do you think?
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006
                            Kristi, where there any specific process skills you were trying to
                            teach based on their data? I am not quite sure why you feel the
                            discussion didn't go well if students had numeric data. Numeric data
                            is quantitative data so this should be okay. This entry looks at how
                            you help students in there interpretation of data. I guess you may
                            need to ask yourself the purpose of your activity in terms of what the
                            students should be learning and experiencing.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006
                              Thanks. I didn't feel it went well because the students had
                              quantitative data that had obvious conclusions. I didn't have to
                              help them interpret at all. What you see is me asking about their
                              hypotheses, their procedures, what happened, and what they concluded
                              based on that. I didn't have to lead them to their conclusions.
                              That makes me think that I need to redo the entry, though I really
                              don't have time. My goal for the lesson was to have my students
                              become more familiar with inquiry, and to basically go through the
                              entire scientific process from question to conclusion based on a
                              question that the cooperative groups came up with. I walked them
                              through each step of the process reinforcing how to write a good
                              question, a good hypothesis, a procedure that would produce valid
                              and reliable data, and to come to a conclusion based on that data.
                              I modeled each step with my own investigation. Our state has
                              specific standards that the kids are expected to know and follow,
                              and I modeled the investigation after those specifications. I don't
                              know. I still think I need to redo the entry. It just doesn't feel
                              right, you know? Again, thank you for your help.

                              --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "thescienceteacher"

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 30, 2006
                                  It almost sounds like you are describing entry 2. However, remember
                                  it is how you get them to analyze data on entry 3. If you believe
                                  that your activity/discussion didn't allow for enough probing
                                  leading to or validating their conclusion based on data, you may
                                  want to re-think the entry