Entry 3

  • arholder2003
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 17, 2004
      I said something on the video that is factually incorrect. I didn't
      realize I had said it until I watched the video. Fortunately this
      is at the end and I can just cut it off or I can really point that
      out and play it up in the reflection that the next day I corrected
      the error. I need some opinions. My dear husband is sick of me
      asking him.

      Annette
    • Kathy Dozier
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 17, 2004
        Either way is fine. You can just talk about it in your write up or cut
        it off if you have the time.

        At 12:06 PM 3/17/04, you wrote:
        >I said something on the video that is factually incorrect. I didn't
        >realize I had said it until I watched the video. Fortunately this
        >is at the end and I can just cut it off or I can really point that
        >out and play it up in the reflection that the next day I corrected
        >the error. I need some opinions. My dear husband is sick of me
        >asking him.
        >
        >Annette
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Kathy Dozier
        Camden Middle School
      • arholder2003
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 25, 2004
          The investigation that I videotaped and am writing about shows the
          data collection and discussions with small groups. Is this what
          they are asking for?

          Annette
        • Kallie A. Hilyard
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 26, 2004
            yes but i think you need to stress what the data tells them
          • Kallie A. Hilyard
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 26, 2004
              I am taking my assessment center in a few weeks and was wondering if
              anyone had any advice. Thanks
            • Stacy Cordes
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 28, 2004
                Read student/teacher texts from varying age levels. Especially study topics you do not teach often or are uncomfortable teaching. Read, read, read. Practice responses for any topic you feel uneasy about.  Practice, practice, practice. Good luck.
                Stacy

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 29, 2004
                  Thanks!!!!!
                • sedwards1162
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 27, 2004
                    I took my assessment today. I agree with some of the other advice
                    posted here. The Pathways book for middle school science which can
                    be bought from NSTA was a tremendous help. Especially when it
                    explains unifying concepts and social and technological issues and
                    the main concepts that are advocated by the NSTA for students of
                    this age.

                    Be VERY familiar with the set up by practicing the tutorial before
                    you go. Your time starts as soon as you access the entry so you
                    don't want to lose time.

                    The instruction window reviews for you what is required and scoring
                    criteria. But be VERY familiar with what the exercise want from you
                    before you go, so you don't waste time trying to read that material.

                    The main stress I experienced was trying to be detailed enough
                    within the time limits. I felt good about what I said, but who
                    knows if it was detailed and on target enough to score well with the
                    evaluators.

                    Good luck to everyone!
                  • Dottie Hayes
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 28, 2004
                      Thanks for the information.
                      I did the online tutorial and have been reviewing the national standards along with reading the texts used at my school.
                      I hope everyone does well.
                      Dottie

                      sedwards1162 <sdrawde@...> wrote:
[...]

                    • Carmen Dyse
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 9, 2004
                        --- Dottie Hayes <artwoman69@...> wrote:
                        > Thanks for the information.
                        > I did the online tutorial and have been reviewing
                        > the national standards along with reading the texts
                        > used at my school.
                        > I hope everyone does well.
                        > Dottie
                        >
                        > sedwards1162 <sdrawde@...> wrote:
                        > I took my assessment today. I agree with some of
                        > the other advice
                        > posted here. The Pathways book for middle school
                        > science which can
                        > be bought from NSTA was a tremendous help.
                        > Especially when it
                        where can you find the Pathway book?
                        where can you find the Pathway book?
                        > explains unifying concepts and social and
                        > technological issues and
                        > the main concepts that are advocated by the NSTA for
                        > students of
                        > this age.
                        >
                        > Be VERY familiar with the set up by practicing the
                        > tutorial before
                        > you go. Your time starts as soon as you access the
                        > entry so you
                        > don't want to lose time.
                        >
                        > The instruction window reviews for you what is
                        > required and scoring
                        > criteria. But be VERY familiar with what the
                        > exercise want from you
                        > before you go, so you don't waste time trying to
                        > read that material.
                        >
                        > The main stress I experienced was trying to be
                        > detailed enough
                        > within the time limits. I felt good about what I
                        > said, but who
                        > knows if it was detailed and on target enough to
                        > score well with the
                        > evaluators.
                        >
                        > Good luck to everyone!
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                      • Carmen Dyse

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 8 4:35 PM
                            I am having a hard time getting a good discussion for Entry 3...Entry 2 rocked, it was great, but the Entry 3 discussions I have tried have been much too teacher-centered...it is frustrating, to say the least. I mean...I can ask the kids to participate, but I have to call on them. My other entries are strong, but I fear I may fail this one.

                            Cinnamon in NC
                          • Jennifer Lynch
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 8 8:02 PM
                              I just finished getting a tape that I think will work.
                              First try the kids looked bored becasue they were
                              just telling about their data. Today I had them get
                              up in front of the class and explain their position,
                              each person telling why they took the position. I
                              encouraged the rest of the class to ask them questions
                              about their explanation. Students enjoyed this and the
                              quality of their responses was good.
                              --- Cinnamon Frame <cframe@...> wrote:

                              > I am having a hard time getting a good discussion
                              > for Entry 3...Entry 2 rocked, it was great, but the
                              > Entry 3 discussions I have tried have been much too
                              > teacher-centered...it is frustrating, to say the
                              > least. I mean...I can ask the kids to participate,
                              > but I have to call on them. My other entries are
                              > strong, but I fear I may fail this one.
                              >
                              > Cinnamon in NC> No virus found in this outgoing
                              message.
                              > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
                              > Date: 2/7/2005

                              http://my.yahoo.com
                            • Kristi
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 24, 2006
                                Can someone out there help me? For entry 3, I had my kids working in
                                small groups, each group working on a different investigation based on
                                scientific questions they came up with. Some were doing physics
                                questions, some life science, and so on. The discussion wasn't that
                                great because all of the kids had numeric data, the conclusions were
                                obvious. For the video, I started with a whole-group discussion about
                                the investigation I did as a model, then I talked to each individual
                                group about their data. What do you think?
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006
                                  Kristi, where there any specific process skills you were trying to
                                  teach based on their data? I am not quite sure why you feel the
                                  discussion didn't go well if students had numeric data. Numeric data
                                  is quantitative data so this should be okay. This entry looks at how
                                  you help students in there interpretation of data. I guess you may
                                  need to ask yourself the purpose of your activity in terms of what the
                                  students should be learning and experiencing.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006
                                    Thanks. I didn't feel it went well because the students had
                                    quantitative data that had obvious conclusions. I didn't have to
                                    help them interpret at all. What you see is me asking about their
                                    hypotheses, their procedures, what happened, and what they concluded
                                    based on that. I didn't have to lead them to their conclusions.
                                    That makes me think that I need to redo the entry, though I really
                                    don't have time. My goal for the lesson was to have my students
                                    become more familiar with inquiry, and to basically go through the
                                    entire scientific process from question to conclusion based on a
                                    question that the cooperative groups came up with. I walked them
                                    through each step of the process reinforcing how to write a good
                                    question, a good hypothesis, a procedure that would produce valid
                                    and reliable data, and to come to a conclusion based on that data.
                                    I modeled each step with my own investigation. Our state has
                                    specific standards that the kids are expected to know and follow,
                                    and I modeled the investigation after those specifications. I don't
                                    know. I still think I need to redo the entry. It just doesn't feel
                                    right, you know? Again, thank you for your help.

                                    --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "thescienceteacher"

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 28, 2006

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 30, 2006
                                        It almost sounds like you are describing entry 2. However, remember
                                        it is how you get them to analyze data on entry 3. If you believe
                                        that your activity/discussion didn't allow for enough probing
                                        leading to or validating their conclusion based on data, you may
                                        want to re-think the entry