Re: [EASCI] how connected do the entries have to be in entry one

  • Donna M. Petty
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2004
      I don't think you were in error on that - I may have misunderstood that this candidate was working on the entry where the activities were to show a progression in learning a skill. The sections/entries for the portfolio are supposed to be from different units - at least it was when I took it. I was a re-take, too -HANG IN THERE and DON'T GIVE UP! :>)

      Donna M. Petty
      dpetty@...
      http://home.usit.net/~dpetty/Class_Page/index.htm (Class Page)
      http://www.columbiabahai.org
      "When you were born you cried and the world rejoiced.
      Live your life so that when you die the world cries
      and you rejoice".
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 17, 2004
        In my entry 1 I showed student growth in a weather unit. My first
        student work sample was a whole class activity of collecting weather
        data and constructing station models and forecasting from that data over
        a 10 day period. This was discussed in class, and self corrected. Next
        sample was a worksheet that allowed them to build on that learned
        material. They were given specific data and then they had to construct
        station models and forecast the next day's weather and that was done
        individually and graded. This showed how they were able to take
        mastered concepts from the group collections and use it by themselves to
        represent growth. The last sample was a standard weather map one might
        find in the newspaper with a variety of questions about it that students
        had to answer. Not only did the students have to answer "data
        questions" that were basic knowledge but there were many questions that
        reflected back to basic learned concepts such as knowing the general
        direction prevailing westerlies push air masses across the US would
        determine what areas would be receiving what kind of weather next
        (higher order thinking skills) These activities showed the growth of
        students being able to collect weather info, assess that data and be
        able to understand weather concepts / how it affects their lives. I
        received a 4 on this entry and passed the first time so it must have
        been on track. I don't think the activities have to be 1,2,3 sequenced
        but I do think they must tie together the common goal of that particular
        unit, if that makes sense. Entries 2 and 3 are to be on totally
        different topics and are not meant to be related. Hope this helps and
        good luck!
        Karen

        >>> dpetty@... 01/16/04 8:44 PM >>>
[...]

        Service.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Service.
      • bebadog
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 17, 2004
          Karen thanks so much for sharing. I feel much better about entry one.
          Mary Lynn